besseae flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
when my friend took pictures of my Toni Semple, he also took pictures of two of my besseae flavum from the Orchid Zone. Unfortunately they didn't come out quite as good as the Toni Semple pictures but they are certainly better than the ones I have taken where they either look radioactive or bleached.

zGQkxG1h.jpg

u8qHjA8h.jpg

Lovely! Great shots, and you must be pleased with these..!

Is that a tiny strip of red on the front of the pouch..? So interesting to see..!

Good spot! Yes it does have a red stripe down the front of the pouch. If you click here:
http://i.imgur.com/jt4ivA9.jpg
and enlarge it you can see it a little more clearly.

And yes, I am very pleased with these. I have a third one also which is a small seedling so it only produced 2 flowers but it has a new start that is growing rapidly. This is the best picture I have of that one, it is the front left:
AtUjKBOh.jpg

I think yellow besseaes are in my top favorites of all time! Stunning flowers, simply beautiful and perfect on their own. Thanks for sharing!! I have about 15 babies so I am looking forward to them blooming.

David

I've been trying to get a couple of these lovelies for months
and can't seem to get the attention of anyone at OZ. What
does it take to buy a couple of Phrags. from them???????

Good spot! Yes it does have a red stripe down the front of the pouch. If you click here: http://i.imgur.com/jt4ivA9.jpg and enlarge it you can see it a little more clearly.

Fascinating! Given that all of these are derived as selfs from just one plant, it is quite something to see this sort of variation emerging. I notice on that larger image that there is a touch of red at the tips of the petals as well. Really striking and handsome!

I bought 2 flavum this summer, The better one is just opening a first bud. The other one got nibbled by something at a critical stage and has not fared well. But I'll post photos of the better one once it opens fully.

OZ had a bunch of bessae (not sure if flavum) at the last Paph Forum.
So what's your culture? s/h? or are the clay balls just a top dressing?

Yeah, I grow them s/h in clay pots from the Orchid Gallery which I completely submerge in water for a couple minutes about every three days--they do stay a good bit cooler to the touch as they claim. I have about a third of my phrags (ones with higher percentages of cooler growing species) in these pots and they are all doing really well. Then I have about a third of them in more traditional s/h in plastic pots. And then about a third are in bark some sitting in saucers, some not.

Back