Advice for growing Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
Just used the search for advice but without real success (oh yes, I stopped a few times reading funny and thoughtful stuff) but I believe there must be a page with cultural recommendations for rothschildianum? Help, please!
And yes, I own a little roth for the first time!!!
Thanks!

They like it warm all year. 80 F days, 65F nights. Do you grow
under lights or in a greenhouse?

Intermediate/warm tamps, bright light, humidity minimum 50%, plenty of air circulation, roots kept slightly moist, and lots of food rich in Calcium and Magnesium.

Half of my collection are roths, most of the crosses come from Taiwan.
Roths are not difficult at all, they are actually pretty easy if you get a modern clone. The older crosses or collected plants are much more difficult. I do not own one of those plants tough.

This is my biggest roth: '266'x'J' --> It is a cross from Taiwan. 266 is 'Mont Millais' x 'Val' and I was said that "J" stands for "Jeanet". I am not sure tough.
uyzz.jpg

As for the potting mix: they like a mix of seedling bark, CHC and Coco fibre and some sphagnum moss. I get good results using coconut fibre in my mix. Some of my roths are in pure CHC and they do fine too, but I will use the above mix the next repotting as it is the one that turned my 266xJ into a monster.

Roths usually do better when you dont give them too much light. In the net there is a very good PDF from Xavier Garreau ("roth" on ST) about roth cuture. Just google it.

Always keep them warm all year round with a slight temperature drop in winter and don't give them too much fertilizer.

I am growing under lights btw.

Feel free to ask questions..

Roths are not difficult at all, they are actually pretty easy if you get a modern clone. The older crosses or collected plants are much more difficult. I do not own one of those plants tough.

This is my biggest roth: '266'x'J' --> It is a cross from Taiwan. 266 is 'Mont Millais' x 'Val' and I was said that "J" stands for "Jeanet". I am not sure tough.
uyzz.jpg

As for the potting mix: they like a mix of seedling bark, CHC and Coco fibre and some sphagnum moss. I get good results using coconut fibre in my mix. Some of my roths are in pure CHC and they do fine too, but I will use the above mix the next repotting as it is the one that turned my 266xJ into a monster.

Roths usually do better when you dont give them too much light. In the net there is a very good PDF from Xavier Garreau ("roth" on ST) about roth cuture. Just google it.

Always keep them warm all year round with a slight temperature drop in winter and don't give them too much fertilizer.

I love your tshirt and the beast in front of you !:rollhappy:

uyzz.jpg

Could you precise the water you use and fertilizer: tap water, rain water ro water ?

Yes it is quite a beast, I am 1.90m tall...
I am using tap water, we have very good water quality in Switzerland. I use the Akerne RainMix fertilizer 1x per month. Not that often as you can see...

I am using tap water, we have very good water quality in Switzerland. I use the Akerne RainMix fertilizer 1x per month. Not that often as you can see...

Oups 1.90 m ! you are booth giants ! Nice pic.

I think the water quality helps a lot to have such incredible growth rate.
In Paris, tap water is not bad, I use to water my paph for 15 years now with good results but I have observed better results with my roots with rain water especially with barbata.

Just used the search for advice but without real success (oh yes, I stopped a few times reading funny and thoughtful stuff) but I believe there must be a page with cultural recommendations for rothschildianum? Help, please!
And yes, I own a little roth for the first time!!!
Thanks!
Here is a good cultural site for all things ladyslipper.

http://www.slipperorchids.info/

Good luck with the roth.

uyzz.jpg

I think your plant is not getting enough light. Iv'e often recieved seedling paphs with very long streched out leaves and the new leaves settled down to a more compact form after a while.

I think your plant is not getting enough light. Iv'e often recieved seedling paphs with very long streched out leaves and the new leaves settled down to a more compact form after a while.

Now I've built my new growing area with stronger light. But I kept this clone under the same light as the other clones, and they flower regularly. And they are more compact than this roth. Perhaps it is a matter of its genetics too. We will see...

Thank you all!
I've read Xaviers paper again - with a grain of salt, that is keeping in mind what my possibilities over here (bad water qualities) allow - and watching the plant carefully as to understand what it is telling me.
I have placed the little pot in a bigger one filled with pumice.
That keeps the humidity a bit - it is planted in fairly big bark - and adds stability, for it is outside in the shadow now (max Temp. 24ºC, min temp. 18ºC and lots of wind). So it gets at least good ventilation:rollhappy: and good amount of light (the advice is contradicting: some say very shadowy, others say very much light); watering twice a week now, table water: aprox. 80ppm, some less from January on.
And some crushed shells on top... (another contradiction...) and a bit of sand.
PB150417.jpg

I'll watch closely and tell you how this little Roth is going on!

In my indoor conditions, m y rothschildianum have less and more light like cattleya.
And much fertilization.

I think the Strone's plant could be more compact with more light but the plant seems to be in very good condition. So, it's probably too a genetic reason.

Latest posts

Back