Phrag hirtzii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Back in February I swapped a pot of peacei for this division of hirtzii. It originally came from Ecuagenera.

I think this was a great swap.

Big flower, here compared to longifolium.

Some say this is just a variety of longifolium, but these are very different plants.

longifolium is a huge plant in comparison

You are very lucky, Rick! I've been looking for a hirtzii for a long time. This is a nice one. Not like I remembered -- but I do remember the very twisty petals.

Thanks for the comparison. I just got a hirtzii from Ecuagenera and can't wait for it to bloom!

Nice Rick but I can see boissierianum bleeding through. Is there any discussion on the makeup of this species?

Nice Rick but I can see boissierianum bleeding through. Is there any discussion on the makeup of this species?
I don't think I can add much intelegent debate to that as to whether this is a natural hybrid or distinct species.

My old McCook reprint says she was sceptical at first, but after seeing them in the proximatey of longifolium, and being as distinctly different as shown above, she felt its a distinct species.

Tom Kalina probably knows much more about this species.

Nice Rick but I can see boissierianum bleeding through

I agree with you, I can see some degree of hybridation in this particular one... seems to me not a pure hirtzii...

This one is a pure hirtzii from the South of Colombia:

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
So Eliseo,
Does boissierianum grow near colonies of hirtizii and Rick's plant be a result of inter-breeding?

So Eliseo,
Does boissierianum grow near colonies of hirtizii and Rick's plant be a result of inter-breeding?

I have never seen boissierianum in the wild. It is present (at least theoretically) in the southern part of Ecuador and Perú while the hirtzii is preset in the northern part of Ecuador and Southern part of Colombia. The plant that I am showing was collected close to the Ecuador-Colombia border.

I am not sure about natural inter-breeding between both species in the wild, but I have found that it is frequent in our greenhouses.

Back