LEGAL Paphiopedilum hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
the time is now folks. FINALLY. i have in my possession, papered, legal, documented, Paph. hangianum. the plants were deemed of legal (Chinese) origin, and legally imported to the united states in the past week, with all paperwork, including all CITES documents etc, being accepted. :rollhappy:

Good news at least. hangianum is a really important parent that was really missing in the US... (even if it is not a Chinese species by any means :D)

Do you have a photo of the plants by chance? Those are Holger plants I think.

Good luck to you, breed the $hit out of them. We may need some back in VN in the near future if they keep collecting them as they do.

I believe some other shipments made it to the US last year with papers but as they were commercial growers, I think they have kept quiet until they have produced more plants.

Regards, Mick

ya i think there were numerous people who got plants on this go 'round.

Good luck to you, breed the $hit out of them. We may need some back in VN in the near future if they keep collecting them as they do.

I believe some other shipments made it to the US last year with papers but as they were commercial growers, I think they have kept quiet until they have produced more plants.

Regards, Mick

In fact, most people just waited to get hangianum with CITES to legalize their stocks. That's where Holger has made a small mistake in terms of business... I did the same mistake with gigantifolium years ago, took the pain to get legal ones, sold very few, and I just legalized all the stocks worldwide, including the US newer ones, directly and indirectly. Holger will realize that in a few months, once he will have supplied legal plants to several countries, no one will buy those from him. Taiwan has really massive stocks of screened, several years cultivated hangianum that they sell for 3-4US blooming size. Get the stock imported under hybrid names from Taiwan, use Holger CITES, and that's a good deal. I am sad for him, because he is a nice guy.

In fact, most people just waited to get hangianum with CITES to legalize their stocks. That's where Holger has made a small mistake in terms of business... I did the same mistake with gigantifolium years ago, took the pain to get legal ones, sold very few, and I just legalized all the stocks worldwide, including the US newer ones, directly and indirectly. Holger will realize that in a few months, once he will have supplied legal plants to several countries, no one will buy those from him. Taiwan has really massive stocks of screened, several years cultivated hangianum that they sell for 3-4US blooming size. Get the stock imported under hybrid names from Taiwan, use Holger CITES, and that's a good deal. I am sad for him, because he is a nice guy.

Or, Maybe Holger is a nice guy and isn't a slave to the almighty dollar. :clap:

Mick

Its about time!! Now if we can just work on all the others that are still illegal (Cyps for example), than there we can get rid of CITES for good....

Just think of the money the US would save to close a branch of the Govt for good..

Its about time!! Now if we can just work on all the others that are still illegal (Cyps for example), than there we can get rid of CITES for good....

Just think of the money the US would save to close a branch of the Govt for good..

I guess if you are only concerned with slipper orchids.

You forgot about things like elephants, rhinos, sun bears, siberian tigers....goldenseal, ginseng........

The trade in illegal slipper orchids is pretty miniscule compared to the other things CITES regulates. And CITES is international, so I doubt that the US will drop out of the CITES world community for lack of having to dink around in orchids.

I've brought these economics before, but doubt that Taiwan can make any money in the hangianum pot plant market in the US for more than a year or so. I think the only big losers are the locals and indigenous who have just finished raping their own land and now have nothing to show for it except a big hole.

I've brought these economics before, but doubt that Taiwan can make any money in the hangianum pot plant market in the US for more than a year or so. I think the only big losers are the locals and indigenous who have just finished raping their own land and now have nothing to show for it except a big hole.

But remember the locals and the indigenous don't see the big hole so they really aren't effected and they did get paid for their efforts to collect.

But remember the locals and the indigenous don't see the big hole so they really aren't effected and they did get paid for their efforts to collect.

Well they won't get paid anymore (for hangianum anyway), and the big hole I'm referring to is usually a mine, oil operation, golf course, logging operation, or palm oil plantation. In Vietnam the coffee plantation is more popular than palm oil.

soo, dont know exactly how to ask this...can anyone inquire about buying hangianum from this person (Holger)..if so do u know his contact info?

soo, dont know exactly how to ask this...can anyone inquire about buying hangianum from this person (Holger)..if so do u know his contact info?

Holger Perner is in China. As you can tell he is not Chinese but he has been working in orchids there for many years. Orchids Magazine has been publishing a series of his articles on Chinese Cyps where he is working with at a nature reserve, and I believe he is also partnering with a commercial/research operation for growing medicinal plants (including orchids). I believe that was also a fairly recent Orchids magazine article.

There was an email address he left in one of those articles which I corresponded with him about Chinese Cyp pollination (which he graciously replied too), but that was a couple of years ago, and I don't have it handy.

(I don't have the articles at my fingertips, so hope I paraphrased accurately).

Last edited:
the time is now folks. FINALLY. i have in my possession, papered, legal, documented, Paph. hangianum. the plants were deemed of legal (Chinese) origin, and legally imported to the united states in the past week, with all paperwork, including all CITES documents etc, being accepted. :rollhappy:

Pete did you get a wholesale lot of these? Or a small handful for breeding stock.

If anyone wants Dr. Holger Perner contact, here it is. I met him in Taiwan earlier this year. He certainly is a nice man with a nice chinese wife.
"Jinwan village, Pengzhen, Shuangliu county, Chengdu City, Sichuan 610203, China". Tel +86-28-85 85 98 05
EMail : [email protected].
He currently lists himself as Technical Director of Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology Ltd.
Probably he may have made good business contact with the Taiwanese counterpart.
He is one of the invited guest speaker at this year's WOC in Singapore, so there is a good chance I will meet him again.

Good for you Pete....it's about bloody time!:clap:

Back