Phrag. Fritz Schomburg vs Peruflora's Cirilia Alca

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Both Phrag. Fritz Schomburg (=kovachii x besseae) and Peruflora's Cirilia Alca (=kovachii x dalesandroi) were in bloom, so I took a picture of both for comparison.

Phrag. Fritz Schomburg 'Peach Parfait':

PhragFritzSchomburg8152010-1.jpg

Phrag. Peruflora's Cirilia Alca:

PhragPeruflorasCiriliaAlca82510.jpg

One noticeable difference I noticed is that the inside rim of Phrag. Fritz Schomburg is all yellow, while the rim of Peruflora's Cirilia Alca has red veins, and two noticable "eyes" towards the base (close to the flower) of the rim, also the staminodal shield of Phrag. Fritz Schomburg is more yellow, as Peruflora Cirilia Alca has more color:

PhragPeruflorasCiriliaAlca-pouch-82510.jpg

Robert

Magnificient flowers Robert. :drool::drool::drool:
Are the flowers of these crosses mostly of good form or are there significant variation in quality? Also, I would like to see the whole plants so I can guess how long I need to wait for mines to flower. Thanks for showing us these beauties. It's always a thrill.
Michel

Great flowers. I have both crosses. If they're any thing like yours, I'll be happy.

Magnificient flowers Robert. :drool::drool::drool:
Are the flowers of these crosses mostly of good form or are there significant variation in quality? Also, I would like to see the whole plants so I can guess how long I need to wait for mines to flower. Thanks for showing us these beauties. It's always a thrill.
Michel

In general, the flowers have been pretty uniform in quality, when it comes to variation from flower to flower within these 2 crosses. We also had a bunch of Phrag. Haley Deckers, and we have noticed much more variation within that cross. I think in general you will see less variation within a cross if it is a Primary versus a a more complex cross.
Here you go; both plants are growing in a 3.25" pot, it looks like the Phrag. Fritz Schomburg already bloomed on the first growth, as the Peruflora Cirilia Alca is blooming for the first time on its second growth.

Fritz Schomburg:
PhragFritzSchomburgPeachParfait-plant-82510.jpg

Peruflora Cirilia Alca:
PhragPeruflorasCiriliaAlca-plant-82510.jpg

Robert

Yup, while I think they're both beautifuu, I'm partial to Fritz too. HP Norton was carrying one of those around (in bloom) at the Slipper Symposium last year and I fell in love then and there ..:smitten: With Fritz, that is. :D

The Fritz Schomburg is incredible, but also somewhat disappointing as to color. I would have hoped for more purple/pink to come through, as evidently did in the Peruflora Cirila Alca, Can you tell us the width of these flowers?

I do like both blooms a lot!!!! Fritz for its shape and the other one esp. for the color!!! Jean

(I hope my Fritz will have nearby as nice blooms as this one)

Thanks for posting these. It is a exciting time to be a phrag grower. While kovachii will add some good features to the hybrids, I don't think it will ever surpass besseae in terms of relevance in hybridizing.

It is surprising to me that the vibrant color of besseae + the vibrant color of kovachii = a pastel color flower!

e-wpice

Thanks for posting these. It is a exciting time to be a phrag grower. While kovachii will add some good features to the hybrids, I don't think it will ever surpass besseae in terms of relevance in hybridizing.

It is surprising to me that the vibrant color of besseae + the vibrant color of kovachii = a pastel color flower!

e-wpice

Wow! Very nice flowers! I like the surprising Fritz Schomburg coloration...
Asking myself the same question as e-spice....

I'm happy to see that pastel colors are possible in these first generation hybrids. Saturated colors may show up as more are bloomed out, but should be easy to get back to in the next generation at least. Pastels might have been harder to obtain. I'm happy to see the infuence of the kovachii shape too. I'm tired of people raving over hybrids that really might as well be a big red besseae.

Latest posts

Back