Thun Orchids Show 2010 (Switzerland) - Slippers and others.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Last weekend was teh Orchids Show in Thun (Switzerland). As expected, very well organized and lots of public. I was a bit disappointed this year due to the lack (IMO) of stunning plants... not that there were no good plants this year, but more a matter of being spoiled with better quality of plants in the past..

However, there were some interesting plants there:

a nice sized Phrag. Jason Fischer

Paph xglanzii (natural hybrid micranthum x emersonii)

Paphiopedilum Liberty Taiwan

Paphiopedilum Benedikt (St. Swithin x vietnamense)

A nice Paph sukhakulii (plus friends)

Paph hainaldianum var. album

Paph philippinense var. album (first time I see one, therefore I still think it is very nice - cannot compare to any other philippinense album)

For those interested in some more pictures, including non-slipper orchids:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28895012@N08/sets/72157623669058068/

enjoy!
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add this guy :D

Paphiopedilum bundtii (this first time I ever hear about this species.... anyone has any info about it?)

Probably the show was not like past cause of fights inside organization of the show.Nice photos.

P bundtii is a sinonym.....difficult to say in bullenianum group like in barbigerum group....

Probably the show was not like past cause of fights inside organization of the show.Nice photos.

hehe, well... you said that ;) but you are probably right... let's see if the other group makes it better end of May...

It was though a very nice show with lots of plants and, after talking to some friends on the commercial side, with lost of sales... I only missed those "WOW!-Effekt" Plants... ;)

Looks like a good show!

Interesting that I have never heard of the natural hybrid Paph xglanzii
But they are gorgeous flowers!

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/shinshu/shinshu45.html

this plant was from Franz Glanz... According to some discussion I heard, it should even be the same plant used for the description... however, it looks different to me (when compared with the photos in the article attached)

Franz Glanz had (IMO) the best plants in the show, including the two great Calanthes in my Flickr page.

hehe, well... you said that ;) but you are probably right... let's see if the other group makes it better end of May...

It was though a very nice show with lots of plants and, after talking to some friends on the commercial side, with lost of sales... I only missed those "WOW!-Effekt" Plants... ;)

I will be at the other show(i missed Thun this year unfortunately) that is end of april (April 29~May 2nd) so if you are there we can meet.

I am always sorry seeing fights inside orchids groups....

I will be at the other show(i missed Thun this year unfortunately) that is end of april (April 29~May 2nd) so if you are there we can meet.

I am always sorry seeing fights inside orchids groups....

Indeed... and I think the whole story was actually negative for all orchids lovers in Switzerland.. however, I think the Thun show already has a name on its own, and that keeps people going there (IMO, one, if not the best show in Switzerland)

If you will be in Yverdon-les-Bains end of May, of course I would be up for a meeting :) I am nlot really sure yet when exactly I would be there. Most probably 1/2 May, but I am also thinking of attending teh first day of the show: less people, easier to take pictures (this was a nightmare in Thun!) and better chance to get interesting plants from the different nurseries...

Just curiuous, Would you by chance come to Merlimont next week?

I like the color on Paph Benedikt! :)

I agree that the pictures of x glanzii that Olaf showed here before look different from this plant. I wonder if it is the same plant? Only the flowers looks "better" as the plant is more matured?

Thanks for sharing these Ramón!

The micranthum/emersonii hybrid is very interesting as is Benedikt - I haven't seen either before. I'd really like to get a hold of a philippinense v. album and you pic just hammers that home. I looked at the flickr album too - those micranthum are just so cool, such huge flowers on small plants! And that Mercccatoli x adductum is just fabulous....ah...

xGlanzii exists as spare plants here and there. Most of the xGlanzii displayed however are multigrowth seedlings coming from an Austrian nursery...

Bundtii is coming from Sulawesii, named after Carl Bundt who had a nursery there years ago. It is a variation in the bullenianum group.

Indeed... and I think the whole story was actually negative for all orchids lovers in Switzerland.. however, I think the Thun show already has a name on its own, and that keeps people going there (IMO, one, if not the best show in Switzerland)

If you will be in Yverdon-les-Bains end of May, of course I would be up for a meeting :) I am nlot really sure yet when exactly I would be there. Most probably 1/2 May, but I am also thinking of attending teh first day of the show: less people, easier to take pictures (this was a nightmare in Thun!) and better chance to get interesting plants from the different nurseries...

Just curiuous, Would you by chance come to Merlimont next week?

Agree...

I will be in Yverdon-les-Bains every day so no problems.The first day is always best one to buy and talk also.

Unfortunately I cannot come to Merlimont,cause at the moment I have some family problems and cant move around freely.Sorry because is some years that they invite me and I had always problems!!!

Really excellent pics Eamon, not so easy to realize during a show!!!!

btw. Benedikt is acc. to RHS St. Swithin X vietnamense, Roth. X vietn. being Wössner Vietnam Star (hope that mine will bloom one day:)) Jean

Really excellent pics Eamon, not so easy to realize during a show!!!!

btw. Benedikt is acc. to RHS St. Swithin X vietnamense, Roth. X vietn. being Wössner Vietnam Star (hope that mine will bloom one day:)) Jean

you are right, I did not remember the cross and quickly checked for the photos in Orchid Digest vol. 73-1 p. 17. I forgot that Olaf had mentioned about the mistakes on this page in a previous thread. On page 14 it is correct andon page 15 is a photo of Wössner Vietnam Star (roth x viet) - I have corrected the first entry ;)

xGlanzii exists as spare plants here and there. Most of the xGlanzii displayed however are multigrowth seedlings coming from an Austrian nursery...

Maybe, but the plant shown in Thun was not a multigrowth (that's another reason for me to think that what I heard was not true and this is not the same plant used for the description) On the other hand, knowing this plant comes from the nursery where Paph xglanzii was "discovered" and described, I don't think this one comes the Australian nursery, but more that it has been produced in Germany. How the original plant came to Germany might be a different story...

Very nice pictures, thanks Ramon!

the Paph bundtii should have been in Hilmar Bauchs display since he offers seedlings on ebay occasionally. That "species" turned up in culture some 30 years ago, I think, but the name was never officially published. Some people call it x bundtii as well, suppose it is a natural hybrid with a species of the bullenianum group. It reminds me of mohrianum.
The Mercatelli x adductum (anitum?) cross is registered as Woessner Komet (Sam Tsui offers a remake). Franz had just a dozen seedlings from his original cross. He seems to like it since he carried about every blooming plant of this cross to judging in the last few years. This is about the fifth of the dozen I get to see in flower, and this one has quite an intense colour.

Latest posts

Back