Paph sanderianum 'Red Baroness'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I've been waiting a long time for one of these to grow up an bloom. As a fact, I didn't think for a while I would even live long enough to see one bloom in my collection! Bought this one in 05 as a 4 maybe 6 inch seedling. Then I got excited when I discovered a bud coming up on my 22 inch leaf span plant!
ps1l.jpg

Then as it continued to grow, I took note of how dark the buds parts where.
p1030092.jpg

It grew and it grew... so slowwwwly!
p1030142n.jpg

sanderianum11.jpg

THEN FINALLY I got to get a peek of what was inside!
sanderianum12.jpg

And now, for the rest of the story!
What I'm calling a vinicolored sanderianum......What do you all think??
p1030306.jpg

closer
p1030307pz.jpg

p1030308.jpg

How about one with the flash?
p1030246g.jpg

Man, that's gorgeous!!!! Are you taking it for judging? That colour is to die for! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:...................

spectacular coloration! The red is so maroon! the yellow is so canary! very worth the wait!!

Rick,

It really sucks. Send it to us and we'll send you a new 4" ls seedling to try.

Super cool actually. Even the little pimples on the pouch (typical for sandy) are dark.

-Ernie

P.S. Are we thinking it's not a pure sandy?

Congratulations Rick. That is fantastic. One of the best coloured ones I have seen. Pretty quick to flower as well. What is the petal length? Like to see a photo of the whole flower. I'm very jealous.

David

Wow, nice red color, especially the pouch. I have seen dorsals and petals just as red as yours, but the pouch is a clearer red than I have seen on any. I'm not sure the term 'vinicolor' should be used, because vinicolor applies to a mutation where pigment is expressed everywhere, even the areas normally white or other colors.

Regardless, this is one fine colored sanderianum.

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely excited about the color of this clone. I had to question whether it really was sanderianum or something else. I found two pics when googling for images that were hard to see, small and out of focus but appeared to be darker then most sandies. So I felt better.
I could use the pollen on something.....any suggestions? As for judging, I will probably hold off on this blooming. The best I would get, if that, would be a JC and "I ain't pay'in for no darn JC" The petals are too short at this point.12 inches, to get a flower quality award. I picked up on the pimples too Ernie and I was wondering if they are source of the sugar that some have referred to on the pouch that forms later.

Slow Internet and too many pictures. Damn! I'll never see this one. :sob::sob::sob:

Latest posts

Back