Den. speciosum var. pedunculatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

It took a few weeks but finally the flowers of my Dendrobium speciosum var. pedunculatum are opening. It's not completely open but the first flowers are allready degrading so I though it was time to take a picture.

The plant itself was bought a few months ago and it has a very nice size and it's allready growing in two directions. It's growing in a 10.5 cm plastic pot and it needs to be repotted this spring.

The flowers itself have a light yellow creamy color and they have a very heavy fragrance. It's a sweet soapish smell that I consider quite pleasant but my girlfriend isn't quite fond of it.

First of all a shot of the whole plant.
IMG_3462.jpg

And then the flowers.
IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

Edit: Pollen of this plant is used in one of my first hybridising attempts. I'm trying to recreate some austrialian Dendrobium primary hybrids. A topic can be found here which I'm trying to update on a regular basis.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23554

Bravo for flowering it!!! Imo, they can grow to really Laarge specimen :)!!! Jean

I can't take much credit for the blooming, the inflorescene was allready forming when I bought the plant. On the other hand this is the first one to bloom, the plants in my fathers collection are still in bud. :clap: Allthough he has a specimem that is forming 4 inflorescenes.

Bravo for flowering it!!! Imo, they can grow to really Laarge specimen :)!!! Jean

True speciosum can produce massive plants. But this specific var. of speciosum should hold it's small stature. Of course I hope I will be able to increase it's bulb count but I hope that the next bulbs dont get a lot bigger.

Back