Hirohisa’s Ruby

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
It is a cross of micranthum & Mem. Hirohisa Kawai. The brachy parent is mostly bellatulum in its genetic makeup.
This plant was purchased in 2016 as a large seedling. Bloomed for the first time in 2017. Right from the start, it threw two three new growths and would bloom anywhere from 1-3 times a year.
Usually one spike bearing one or two flowers, but sometimes two spikes at the same time.

Two years ago, I pollinated it with my Fanaticum. Earlier this year, it was pollinated by my roth hybrid.
In May it was pollinated by micranthum.
There is a bud coming in one growth again already and a low spike in another out of about six new growths plus who knows how many old growths😁
The plant has not been repotted this whole time and still sits in its 3.75 in round plastic pot with chunky bark & inorganic mix it came in in 2016.
Grown under T8 & fertilized about once or twice a month. Sometimes skip a month and just my tap water (TDS 45-50 ppm).
I wish everything grew & bloomed well like this one.
IMG_0300.jpegIMG_0301.jpegIMG_0298.jpegIMG_0299.jpeg
And a photo from May
IMG_9755.jpeg
And some older photos
IMG_8748.jpeg
IMG_1060.jpeg
IMG_0916.jpegIMG_0911.jpegIMG_0910.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a cross of micranthum & Mem. Hirohisa Kawai. The brachy parent is mostly bellatulum in its genetic makeup.
This plant was purchased in 2016 as a large seedling. Bloomed for the first time in 2017. Right from the start, it threw two three new growths and would bloom anywhere from 1-3 times a year.
Two years ago, I pollinated it with my Fanaticum. Earlier this year, it was pollinated by my roth hybrid.
In May it was pollinated by micranthum.
There is a bud coming in one growth again already and a low spike in another out of about six new growths plus who knows how many old growths😁
The plant has not been repotted this whole time and still sits in its 3.75 in round plastic pot with chunky bark & inorganic mix it came in in 2016.
Grown under T8 & fertilized about once or twice a month. Sometimes skip a month and just my tap water (TDS 45-50 ppm).
I wish everything grew & bloomed well like this one.
View attachment 41608View attachment 41609View attachment 41610View attachment 41611
And a photo from May
View attachment 41612
And some older photos
View attachment 41613
View attachment 41614
View attachment 41615View attachment 41616View attachment 41617
Beautiful! I have space next to the Norito Hasegawa if you ever decide to part with it (or a division).😉

This is the only one of its kind I have, so I intend to keep it for as long as it lives.
However, divisions might show up one day! ;)

Since it has basically divided itself into portions with the oldest growths all dead and gone at the center of the clump, I think this would be an easy job once that time comes.
I have a local member who's #1 for the division. I'll remember you as #2.

Wow!! That looks so nice and well grown. The micranthum really shows with the large pouch and pink! If any divisions of this paph become available, I might just take one as well!😂

Wow!! That looks so nice and well grown. The micranthum really shows with the large pouch and pink! If any divisions of this paph become available, I might just take one as well!😂
Thank you. I'll mark you as #3 on the wait list.
At the moment, I see only three possible divisions. I could go with four but I rather not cut them up into smaller pieces.
It does grow quite fast, so the wait won't be too long I hope.

Best of both worlds collide to make this one so bubbly cute and vigorous.
I think so! The stolon growth habit of micranthum might have been translated into this free production of new growths all over the place. and thank goodness they are not stolons and normal growths that grow out of the base of the older growths!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back