Catasetum expansum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Another Ctsm. expansum blooming in my GH... this time with plain colored flowers... Interestingly, it is considered by many growers that this is the true expansum, and that those plants with spots has macroglossum genes in them (similar situation for pileatum and macrocarpum genes)

Catasetum expansum by kavanaru, on Flickr

Catasetum expansum by kavanaru, on Flickr

Excellent flowers!! I just won 1 from ebay! It should arrive today-tomorrow. I hope it looks that good when it flowers!!

Hmmm.... thank you ramon...!!! :) As for light or heat I am kind of hesitant, because especially during summer months (growing season) the sun is rosting things here and a couple of plants I had in the past died quickly (without direct sunlight).... :( But, now that I have different conditions & space and watering will be under control, I think I can manage... :D:D:D

Hmmm.... thank you ramon...!!! :) As for light or heat I am kind of hesitant, because especially during summer months (growing season) the sun is rosting things here and a couple of plants I had in the past died quickly (without direct sunlight).... :( But, now that I have different conditions & space and watering will be under control, I think I can manage... :D:D:D
Heat is never too much for Catasetum! Keep it in mind ;) youcan protect them from light a bit, but in nature they often grow under the tropical sun without any kind of protection (most species of course - Cycnoches, Clowesia and Mormodes are a bit different story)

Heat is never too much for Catasetum! Keep it in mind ;) youcan protect them from light a bit, but in nature they often grow under the tropical sun without any kind of protection (most species of course - Cycnoches, Clowesia and Mormodes are a bit different story)

I had 2 cycnoches wine delight and a loddigessii..... lol that is why they died.... but I saved a small pseydobulb from one cycn wine delight, which is throwing a new shoot now... I also have a clowesia and a catasetum at the time being... So they need different treatment you say???

not really that different.. only that Catasetum can stand higher temps and light than the Cycnoches and Clowesia without major issues... as long as they have enough water, of course...

Latest posts

Back