Paph. violascens versus bougainvilleanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Both species were in bloom at the moment, so I though I would take some comparison shots. They are both related; some even consider them the same species. Paph. bougainvilleanum is native to the island of Bougainville. Paph. violascens is native to the island of New Guinea and adjacent offshore islands. To me the biggest difference is the foliage. Paph. violascens has more of a checker board mottled type foliage. Also the flowers tend to be darker in color.

The plants side by side:

Paphbougandviolascens-plant-.jpg

Flowers side by side:

Paphbougandviolascens.jpg

Close up of Paph. bougainvilleanum:

Paphbougainvilleanum-close-10142008.jpg

side view of Paph. bougainvilleanum:

Paphbougainvilleanum-side-10142008.jpg

Close up of Paph. violascens:

Paphviolascens-close-10142008.jpg

side view of Paph. violascens:

Paphviolascens-side-10142008.jpg

Robert

I do see some resemblance, and I can tell that they are related, but I agree the differences are big enough that I would call them 2 different species.

Robert

they look like two rather different cousins with similar staminodes!!! Thanks for those great comparative shots!!! Jean

Thank you for the photos of these nice flowers. The foliage of you’re violascens is not as dark as those I have seen. Anyway, it’s a true violascens.
Bravo :)

they look like two rather different cousins with similar staminodes!!! Thanks for those great comparative shots!!! Jean
I'm with you Jean! The stams are interesting & so similar! Nice comparison, Thanks Robert!

I recently got a baby Paph. violascens from from you all (OL) I hope I can get it big enough to bloom too! Nice looking flowers Robert

I had forgotten to show also the variety of Paph. bougainvilleanum from the island Malaite with the bigger flower in another colour

bougainvilleanumleftandsaskianumrig.jpg

left Paph. bougainvilleanum - right Paph. bougainvilleanum var. saskianum

And here the stamode of the var. saskianum

saskianumTypusstaminode.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Olaf,

Thanks for showing that variety, it looks like there is a dark stripe through the petals, or is that just the photo?

Robert

Latest posts

Back