paphiopedilum delenatii forma album x niveum forma album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
Who has photo of paphiopedilum delenatii var. album x niveum var. album :confused:

:confused: would the album form of both parents change much on Deception II? It's already white with a yellow stam, as is delenatii album. Would you lose that yellow?

I bought today

a1xi7.jpg

a2ze3.jpg

a3vg3.jpg

my goodness! look at it go--climbing like no tomorrow... sometimes i wonder y in the world would they even evolve such an adaptation

That's interesting.. first time I've see a brachy/parvi actually climb so high... but it looks like there is a new shoot emerging from the base of the shoot (partially covered by moss).. As the new growth seems to want to produce roots from high up (the brownish part), would it b epossible to wrap some sphag around that part and hope it will produce more roots, so that it can be severed and potted up on its own..?

my goodness! look at it go--climbing like no tomorrow... sometimes i wonder y in the world would they even evolve such an adaptation

I've seen speculation, and it makes sense, that climbing like this would be an adaptation to a location where forest floor litter or moss growth, etc. was accumulating quickly. The stem needs to elongate to keep the leaves from being buried. Another way to look at it is that this is similar to a stolon, as seen in some paph species (armeniacum, etc.) regularly, but growing upward. Either way, this pattern of growth is occasionally triggered by some combination of genetics, environment and physiology - unusual perhaps, but not abnormal, and possibly adaptive.

I've seen this in seedlings in flask or recently out of flask. The constant moisture, low light and crowding in flask might mimic the conditions that initiate this elongated growth in nature.

Somebody in an earlier thread asked if Paphs could be mounted. I wonder if this would be a possibility with this one?

In my experience, looks like it was left in flask way too long or was grown in very low light soon after deflasking. Also evidenced by the change in leaf morphology IMO. I've never had much luck recovering such plants, but could easily imagine that folks with great humidity could with ease. Mounting would be a thing to try to keep the new roots from drying out too fast. New roots tend to emerge higher than the old ones, and if they pop out into constantly dry conditions, they probably won't do well. As long as the original roots are kept healthy it will persist and new starts should be normal as long as conditions are correct. Normal colored delenatiis and niveums don't climb, at least mine never do, no reason the albinos would. BTW, albino delenatii is properly Paph. delenatii fma. albinum, niveum is Paph. niveum fma. album, right Olaf? Your hybrid would be called Paph. Deception II, google that and you'll probably hit a ton of spotted versions, just erase the spots. It'll be white with a nifty green veined niveum staminode probably; chances of two flowers per spike are decent too.

-Ernie

To me, this looks like that top growth is coming from a shoot arising from the centre of the bottom growth. This seems odd to me, unless I'm not seeing the picture right. If it was like a stolon, wouldn't it start from the side of the growth?

To me, this looks like that top growth is coming from a shoot arising from the centre of the bottom growth. This seems odd to me, unless I'm not seeing the picture right. If it was like a stolon, wouldn't it start from the side of the growth?

The 'top' and 'bottom' growth are a single growth with unusually elongated internodes, in some ways reminiscent of a stolon but growing upward.

This looks like a flower stem that decided to produce a growth rather than a flower. That would be closer to a keiki than a convoluted growth.

Hello, I had this same problem with a p delenatii v album! What I did was bend the stem over into another pot, covered the roots and let it grow naturally, in fact I just detatched it from the main growth a few days ago.

Latest posts

Back