Paph. jackii/ malipoense ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Axel

Hi folks,

I bought this plant labelled as jackii in spring 2007. It is now flowering (1st time) and, to me, isn't a true jackii (or typical one). Staminode is indeed different, and more malipo-like. On the other hand, should it be a malipoense, its shape appears unusual to me (narrower petals). That's why I think it could also be malipoense x jackii. What do you think ?

dsc2795cx6.jpg

Staminode :
dsc2796ee0.jpg

Whole thing :
dsc2799so3.jpg

Leaves :
dsc2800yi4.jpg

To me it appears to be pure Paph malipoense. The flower is in range of typical malipoense. Those lovely photos of full round malipoense are of the exceptional few that people brag about. Yours is well in range of normal. Pleasant. I'd keep watering it. Important - jackii has fine lines where malipoense has a solid purple mark on the staminode. I have seen several of the hybrid (malipoense x jackii) and the purple blotch is broken up into lines in the hybrid. Your foligae is typical of malipoense, the foliage of jackii is much lighter backgound with a checkerboard pattern of darker blotches. The foliage of malipoense tends to be mostly dark green with lighter paterning. So foliage, and staminode say - pure malipoense.

it is definitely a straight malipoense and looking at the plant I think it could be from the same origin that tha plant as bought as var hiepii and that turned out to be a stright malipoense as well

To me it appears to be pure Paph malipoense. The flower is in range of typical malipoense. Those lovely photos of full round malipoense are of the exceptional few that people brag about. Yours is well in range of normal. Pleasant. I'd keep watering it. Important - jackii has fine lines where malipoense has a solid purple mark on the staminode. I have seen several of the hybrid (malipoense x jackii) and the purple blotch is broken up into lines in the hybrid. Your foligae is typical of malipoense, the foliage of jackii is much lighter backgound with a checkerboard pattern of darker blotches. The foliage of malipoense tends to be mostly dark green with lighter paterning. So foliage, and staminode say - pure malipoense.

Axel, I agree with Leo & everybody that this is malipoense.
The leaves look like it . Also, a person without eyesight could also tell these two apart, because the top of jackii's leaves are smooth to the touch (versus rough & bumpy of malipoense)

Hello Axel,
I believe that is paph. malipoense var. malipoense

Yes, indeed, and Hakone's picture looks very much like my plant.
Hakone, is this your plant ? Where did you get it ? I bought mine from Popow.

Hello Axel,
yes Sir, orchids nursery in the proximity where I lives

It must be that somebody pulls the tag out , then puts it back in the wrong plant. Supposedly this happens all the times at shows with general population crowd (not real collectors, they are more carefull) .
Because Mr. Popow is quite knowledgeable in slipper orchids. I don't think he would make the mistake.

Hey Axel
Here is a picture I took of a friend's plant that is the true malipoense var jackii. note the staminode markings are lines. Foliage pattern is the checkerboard marks rather than the brocade pattern in malipoense var malipoense. Fragrance is a little different also.

jackii448.jpg

Back