Meet the christaes!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum henryanum var. christae is a very uncommon variety of henryanum. Some time ago I got a flask of them from Hengduan and this year they are blooming. There is a total of 11 buds on my plants and the variety shows quite significant variation, from almost albinistic to patterned. But never to be confused with the regular henryanum. Enjoy!:)
free upload pictures
image hosting 12mb
image uploading site
photo host

They are all gorgeous. Though I understand the urge to self one to go for even paler albinistics or true album types, its a short sighted way to reach the goal. Sib cross the 2 palest ones for almost as good a chance for that goal, but more variability to work with and better genetic health. Unless these are known to result from an outcross of known unrelated plants they are almost certainly already inbred. Avoid further inbreeding any more than necessary.

People often complain that album types and some other rarer forms are poor growers. There's a reason.

Fabulous
Var cristea is nice because of the contrast between pink pouch and green dorsal and almost green petals
A totaly albino henryanum would have no interest to my eyes : a green flower and that it

Thanks for the pics. Wonderful. Looks like good growing also. I have one in bud at the moment from the same source. I would be happy with any of these outcomes.
I like the palest ones. Top one, wide petals, and left one, although it is hard to get a good view of that one.
With regards to an sib cross producing albas, it seems unlikely. Aren't these the result of a sib cross already?
JC

They are all gorgeous. Though I understand the urge to self one to go for even paler albinistics or true album types, its a short sighted way to reach the goal. Sib cross the 2 palest ones for almost as good a chance for that goal, but more variability to work with and better genetic health. Unless these are known to result from an outcross of known unrelated plants they are almost certainly already inbred. Avoid further inbreeding any more than necessary.

People often complain that album types and some other rarer forms are poor growers. There's a reason.

I agree.

Now, I love these photos! I never thought much of this variety, but now I want to dump out my henryanum and get these instead! hahaha

Orchidzone has been listing henryanum x Elfstone on eBay lately.
There have been two that I really liked, but I never got lucky at the last minute. They looked like a giant version of christae.

Thanks for the pics. Wonderful. Looks like good growing also. I have one in bud at the moment from the same source. I would be happy with any of these outcomes.
I like the palest ones. Top one, wide petals, and left one, although it is hard to get a good view of that one.
With regards to an sib cross producing albas, it seems unlikely. Aren't these the result of a sib cross already?
JC

The one facing slightly upward? That is my favorite among this bunch too!
I like them with nearly no markings. :)

If you have a chance please post a pic of the more albanistic ones by themselves. They are really nice and I know more of us would love to see them closer up.

Latest posts

Back