philippinense and preview

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
My biggest philippinense is blooming after skipping last year. I was hoping that at least one if not two more growths were going to throw a spike this year also but so far it is looking like it'll just be this one. Should put on quite a show next year hopefully.
Not the best pictures--I'm hoping that I can get a friend over to take better pics in the next week or so.
fbdpDVrl.jpg

9FlkB5Nl.jpg

Without flash:
yPym47al.jpg

And a preview of a plant I am getting super excited about as it is looking like it'll have 6 flowers:
2IDk8jbl.jpg

Very exciting. Congrats on growing those healthy plants. Do you really have to stake them that early?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Really nice phil. What is the mystery plant?

Shin Yi Omar (Saint Swithin 'Wallula' x William Ambler 'Dark Horse' AM/AOS)

I have never seen it bloom as the first growth was in spike when I bought it but blasted.

This spiking growth is much larger and it has a new growth that is nearly as big as the spiking growth. Plus the new growth is throwing two starts this year so the future looks bright.

Very exciting. Congrats on growing those healthy plants. Do you really have to stake them that early?

I am a windowsill and under lights grower. These two plants are closest to the window so they have no lights other than the window. Without staking, the spikes go straight towards the window, so if I want them to be upright at all, they have to get staked pretty early.

The one that is still in buds threw me for a loop though. I staked it and then based upon the angle of the bud and the emerging spike I changed which side it was staked. But now it is going back the other way and the bud has emerged too far from the bract for me to risk trying to move it back to the other side of the stake again.

I am a windowsill and under lights grower. These two plants are closest to the window so they have no lights other than the window. Without staking, the spikes go straight towards the window, so if I want them to be upright at all, they have to get staked pretty early.

The one that is still in buds threw me for a loop though. I staked it and then based upon the angle of the bud and the emerging spike I changed which side it was staked. But now it is going back the other way and the bud has emerged too far from the bract for me to risk trying to move it back to the other side of the stake again.
Thats what im afraid of, better to let the light guide the buds where to face. Better still, place a temp light light overhead.

Thats what im afraid of, better to let the light guide the buds where to face. Better still, place a temp light light overhead.

I'm not too sure that a temporary light above it would do the trick. This time of year with the sun still relatively low in the sky in the Northern Hemisphere the plants closest to the window get about 7 hours of direct (partially filtered by a screen on the window) sunlight.

I'm perfectly happy with the staking of the philippinense. I do however wish that the shin yi omar had been done better--although it is still too early to tell for sure one way or the other.

Nice.. Interesting that you can bloom phili indoors. I grow phili outdoors under bright sun but no flowers for me :(

Well, this is the first time I have gotten this plant to spike. I bought it in spike two years ago, it skipped last year, and now is giving me this lovely present. It gets very bright light this time of year as it is in a southwest 2nd floor window that has nothing shading the window.

It is also the plant from this thread that I decided to repot in September, so perhaps a repotting is in order.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38697

Latest posts

Back