Masdevallia rimarima-alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I got this from Ecuagenera about 1 year ago (it was listed as M. rimarima-"pink"). The first one was dead-on-arrival, but the replacement has been doing really well. It started to flower around Jan 2015, and it has been continuously in bloom. There are usually only 2-3 flowers at a time, though.

It's growing in the same condition as M. lychniphora, which I posted yesterday.

If you are interested, I included a bit more details and additional photos to my Orchid Borealis blog site

Masdevallia rimarima-alba, petals, column and lip on Flickr

Masdevallia rimarima-alba on Flickr

Masdevallia rimarima-alba, whole plant on Flickr

Wow - beautiful!!!

So, is this species normally pink and this one is unusually white? It can't be true alba with all that red/raspberry colour. But, the contrast between the stripes and the pale background is really nice. I love it!

John, the name of the species is "rimarima-alba". Hyphenation in the species epithet is weird, but I learned that it is allowed. According to IOSPE, it is closely related to M. uniflora (pink), which the locals call it "rima rima". So compared to M. uniflora, this is white, so the species name became rimarima-alba.

naoki- the shade of the flowers looks quite different between the close ups and the whole plant shot. Which are closer to the actual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks good enough to eat!

My friend said, the flower looks like a candy.

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could grow Masdies; there are some nice fragrant ones.

I agree that it is too bad that many of these requires special environment.

naoki- the shade of the flowers looks quite different between the close ups and the whole plant shot. Which are closer to the actual?

Ooops, you are right. Close-up photos is more of the real color. I didn't adjust the white balance well for the whole plant. I didn't have my usual camera gears, and I had to use dim light through windows. For the whole plant picture, it is the mixture of natural + fluorescent light, so the white balance was off. And good to see you here, I think you hung out in OrchidsForum, right?

Back