kovachii challenge

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova

Reaction score
After I've bought a RO water filter I had the confidence to try Phragmipedium kovachii. Bought two seedlings four months ago. They were in Sphagnum an I knew they should to be repotted. I used fine bark, small clay pellets, perlite and a little bit crushed oyster shells. Placed them in a container to stay in a layer of water, mist them every morning and give them a few drops of diluted fertilizer three times every week.

exFAaR44j

ipqRHu0Cj

exY3iqZMj

These pictures were taken yesterday. So far so good..

f0erRs8Tj

Behind the container on the left is kovachii 'Pink Sensation', have it for three months now. On the right is another kovachii. A recent acquisition which was offered for a reasonable price, but I do question its authenticity. From what I have observed kovachii makes new shoots when flowering and the leaves are not shiny :confused:

exqmyNlSj

I don't know what I did wrong making the pictures not visible to everyone :(

Can you please explain what you mean?
On pictures I have seen kovachii makes new shoots while flowering. The last one looks very vigorous for a small kovachii. I can be wrong, hope you can tell me I am...

:) you are in luck because you are wrong. Kovachii will make multiple new growths when it is growing well..... not just while flowering.

i like to hear that!! for a moment...i´m very:confused: ...:clap::clap::clap:

Please nova, keep me updated!

Stange indeed Bjorn. Oh well, glad you can finally see them.

Glad to know it could be a genuine kovachii, will definitely keep you posted.

And Eric, you're a funny man! :poke: :rollhappy:

Still only get little boxes with a red "X" inside; but, I can add my opinion anyway.

I have kovachii seedlings and they are multigrowth; but, not yet BS. So, in my experience, they will make new growths without needing to be in flower.

Allright, so multiple growth is common with kovachii even with young plants, that's a relief.

I see all the photos. The plants look great! Shiny leaves could be what they were cleaned with.

They have not been cleaned. I believe Kovachii leaves are shiny by nature. I was least concerned by the dull leaves, I thought it could be a cultural thing. It came potted in bark, I repotted in akadama, fine bark, pumice and a bit crushed oyster shells. Should make it more happy.

Chop them up seperately eat as a kovachii salad to see which one tastes the best:)

That would be an expensive salad! :crazy:

Latest posts

Back