Paph primulinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice.
Why is it a photographic challenge for you?

Go too bright and you wash out the yellow of the pouch. Too dark and its just too dark..! Pale colours are an interesting challenge.

In this case I needed to pull the curtains to dim the light down. Then held a large filter in each hand either side of the plant while the timer counted down. I wanted to avoid bright glare on the pouch. Out of 6 or 7 shots, this was the only one I felt was just right.

Dot (et al), if you shoot in RAW does it matter too much if the exposure is off a stop? Cant you just adjust exposure in LR?
I understand the reflection issue. Interesting challenge.

Thanks.

RAW certainly helps, but even in raw, if the information isn't there, you can't bring it in. Overexposure is worse than underexposure, in my experience.

I do shoot in RAW, always and for the past several years, once I realised the huge advantages. Grey card is not a help in this situation of trying to keep out reflection. I'm on a tripod and shooting ISO100, typically f18 at 1 second, or a bit faster. So I have plenty of elbow room. As Ozpaph says, this isn't really a question of dropping the exposure one f stop. I use the big filters I'm holding between the plant and the window to cut out specific glare. I liked the result I got, but 5 out of 6 of the shots were not to my eye good enough. That's all I'm saying - I like the challenge of how to take the ideal best possible shot of this little fellow. Another way of saying it is that this isn't just a quick snap..!

Grey card is to help determine correct exposure. It has nothing to do with reflections or glare -- that is controlled by lighting, and/or filters, depending on the type of glare.

There's nothing wrong with this photo -- it is quite good, however you arrived at it.

Grey card is to help determine correct exposure. It has nothing to do with reflections or glare -- that is controlled by lighting, and/or filters, depending on the type of glare.

So in other words, would not have helped me with this photo..! As I said, this was the one shot of 6 where I was satisfied. I don't worry at all that 5 were not as good.

I always, always shoot both above and below what appears to be optimum, and then select post-shooting.

My only point was that I had to be use the big filters to keep away to much glare. And with pale blooms, the light geometry is more demanding, if one wants a good photo.

So in other words, would not have helped me with this photo..! As I said, this was the one shot of 6 where I was satisfied. I don't worry at all that 5 were not as good.

I always, always shoot both above and below what appears to be optimum, and then select post-shooting.

My only point was that I had to be use the big filters to keep away to much glare. And with pale blooms, the light geometry is more demanding, if one wants a good photo.

I can't really say that for sure, as I wasn't there to see the conditions. I don't see any sign of glare in this photo unless you are referring to the glossy spots on the pouch and petals. Diffuse light would also help with that. Some gloss is desirable, as it gives a sense of dimension. Too much gloss, of course, ends up as a washed-out highlight. This photo works well, in any case.

Latest posts

Back