Oncostele Jungle Ruby

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Recent purchase from last weekend. Bought without ID but the flowers looks exactly like that on SBOE's website. Looks like a darker version of Miltonia moreliana (= spectabilis var. moreliana). Tall spikes, each with 2 flowers, no fragrance.

Very nice colour, and it Looks as if the plant is compact. Good buy!

I needed to look up the name since Oncostele doesen't explain the Miltonia spectabilis var. moreliana which is so obvious in the flower.

SBOE gives the genus name as Odontonia (not Odontioda!), which is Odontoglossum x Miltonia. The cross is Oncostele Sheraton x Miltonia spectabilis var. moreliana, with Oncostele Sheraton being Rhynchostele bictoniense x Oncidium harryanum.
I couldn't find a name for the hybrid genus Rhynchostele x Oncidium x Miltonia. In fact, I couldn't find this cross in the RHS data base (which doesn't mean much).
Since Odontoglossum has been declared part of Oncidium, the name Odontonia is not current anymore. Otherwise, you could well use Odontonia, or if you accept Rhynchostele, Rhyntonossum as a name for this combination.

This is crazy.

LOL. Thanks, labskaus on the name correction. The plant is about 30cm tall from base of the bulb to leaf tip, spikes are 40-45cm tall, standing above the foliage. The rhizome between bulbs is shorter than in miltonia moreliana, making the plant look more compact and less messy. It appears to have the breaking-double habit from moreliana (two new growths from an old bulb), so I think it should grow pretty fast, if I don't kill it first..

I too thought this was miltonia spectabilis rather than oncostele.
I was like, what????!!!!! lol

Very beautiful albeit NOID. :)

Latest posts

Back