Mastersianum- What Makes Them Difficult??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I love the flower of this species, but I realize that they are not commonly offered and they are not so cheap. Not that expensive, either.

I have read quite a few negative things with regards to their growing habits.
There were basically all negative. Slow, tough, dies easily....

So for those of you who have tried and had no luck, what went wrong?
What did you do/how did you care for it?

and of course, those of you who are successful, what do you do?

Thanks in advance!

I have no trouble with my plant, growing it for years now. It's now starting to clump a little (3-4 new growths). Big fat roots in the pot.
I grow it in pure orchiata power, quite a big pot (13cm) because of the big roots. I water frequently, with about 300µS/cm EC (most of the time municipal water with no fertilizer). twice a month I fertilize with rain water + 15-5-1 NPK fertilizer (with MgSO4) or rain water + kelp extract fertilizer NPK 2-3-5
medium light and temperate climate (15-30°C)

Sounds as this species is easy to grow, Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

Not a whole lot of responses, but I guess it's pretty much the same as other plants.
You just have to get a good willing plant. :p

Good for you!
I hope it continues on doing well for you.

I was looking at OZ compot, which is rather pricy, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that much on something that I might lose in a year or two. lol

I have no trouble with my plant, growing it for years now. It's now starting to clump a little (3-4 new growths). Big fat roots in the pot.
I grow it in pure orchiata power, quite a big pot (13cm) because of the big roots. I water frequently, with about 300µS/cm EC (most of the time municipal water with no fertilizer). twice a month I fertilize with rain water + 15-5-1 NPK fertilizer (with MgSO4) or rain water + kelp extract fertilizer NPK 2-3-5
medium light and temperate climate (15-30°C)

Paul, do you use nitrate or ammonium for this sp.? And can we see a picture?

I'm on my second one. My first one succumbed to last year's abuse, but I hope I'll be able to care for my new one better. As violascens grows without an issue, albeit slowly, I can't help but think that mastersianum should fare fairly okay as well. We'll see how the new one does.

I have two plus a compot (20?) soaking wet, relatively hot 17-30C high humidity (RH>80%), not too well lit (leaves not yellowish) fertiliser at 100ppm TDS (150 microS) Ammonium/nitrate N: 2/1 total 15ppm.
Grows steadily but not very fast. LS now approx 10inch.

I have two plus a compot (20?) soaking wet, relatively hot 17-30C high humidity (RH>80%), not too well lit (leaves not yellowish) fertiliser at 100ppm TDS (150 microS) Ammonium/nitrate N: 2/1 total 15ppm.
Grows steadily but not very fast. LS now approx 10inch.
I am always a little uncomfortable when I read that several among you have good results with so low concentration in nitrogen. With which frequency do you make your fertilyser distributions?

Happypaphy7, Don't forget that if you contact John directly he'll knock off 15% as it won't be an e-bay purchase. That brings the price down a little.

He never replies to questions. Rather frustrating!!!
These compots obviously have pictures but there are sometimes listings with only flower pictures but no plant pictures.
Plus, I don't like their policy of barefoot shipping.
My messages have never been returned.

So you maintain around the roots a constant level of 15 ppm nitrogen as if you cultivate into a dynamic hydroponic method? Do you adjust the pH of your fertilyser solution?

It does sound very strange, doesn't it?

I believe in it though because I once went one entire year without fertilizing at all, yet my Paphs, phals, oncidiums, dendrobiums all grew and bloomed fine.
Now that's just one year.
I do tend to fertilize little, both in quantity and frequency.

So you maintain around the roots a constant level of 15 ppm nitrogen as if you cultivate into a dynamic hydroponic method? Do you adjust the pH of your fertilyser solution?

No, no pls do not misunderstand:) its not hydroponics. All my irrigation water has nutrients added at approx 15ppm N. I spray with a garden hose and the pots are left standing in shallow water, say 3-4mm(which disappears before next watering). A bit like the treatment I give phrags. as a matter of fact they grow together with some fischeriis and an andrettae below are a couple of pics showing the plant. It is quite big and seems to get close to flowering now?

imgurl

No, no pls do not misunderstand:) its not hydroponics. All my irrigation water has nutrients added at approx 15ppm N. I spray with a garden hose and the pots are left standing in shallow water, say 3-4mm(which disappears before next watering). A bit like the treatment I give phrags. as a matter of fact they grow together with some fischeriis and an andrettae below are a couple of pics showing the plant. It is quite big and seems to get close to flowering now?

imgurl

Such a beautiful plant yet if I tried a mix like that with moss etc. the roots would be rotten in no time!

Latest posts

Back