besseae and dalessandroi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvan

Multiflorals assassin
Reaction score
my favorite Phrags. :)

Phrag.besseaedal.Juillet2015.jpeg

Phrag.dalbesseae.plant.jpeg

my besseae that decided to make a stolon this year,..grrr

phrag.besseae.stolon.jpeg

Usually, when I have a phrag with a very long stolon, I just cut it and pot it up.
But usually both plants have a major setback that lasts several months. It's an experiment I'm doing with my besseae, but I thought that the old growth would have made another new growth by now. Instead it's dying, ...

Usually, when I have a phrag with a very long stolon, I just cut it and pot it up.
But usually both plants have a major setback that lasts several months. It's an experiment I'm doing with my besseae, but I thought that the old growth would have made another new growth by now. Instead it's dying, ...

I have done this same thing many times but usually I cut a hole in the bottom of the second pot when the stolen is very small and let it grow into the pot before I put mix in. When it's tall enogh I fill the pot with mix and let it grow roots. In a few cases I have had four lots stacked up all tide together. Sometimes the first or second plant dies back by that point but every time when I cut all the stolons apart the old growths (which look like there is nothing in the pot) always sprout a few new growths. So don't throw it out after you cut them.

Beautiful! It is hard to believe these are two separate species.

That's all down to the question of lumping or splitting... They obviously must have been one species a long time ago, but then a distinct variety emerged, and with enough time the differences became pronounced enough for 20th century botanists to feel there was justification to declare them as distinct species. But have you seen that photo montage of Phrag schlimii, Paph delenatii and Cypripedium reginae..? Makes you accept as fact the notion of Continental Drift..!

Latest posts

Back