Paph St Swithin Timelapse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
This is a timelapse of Paph. St. Swithin opening into bloom, with a partial rotation at the beginning so the bud can be seen in profile. Shot over 12 days, with photos taken every 2 minutes, the entire sequence consists of 9,130 photos taken in December 2012. I used the turntable in the first day or so, as I wanted the bloom opening towards the camera of course, but wanted to present the bud initially in profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O6wzfjPmGI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Beautiful and sort of creepy at the same time. As the bud
begins to open, it appears very alien. Then transforms into
a lovely flower...rather amazing that. I really enjoy your
time lapse videos.

Sounds like you have some great projects in mind Cambria, feel free to give it a whirl.
Me? I can't do that! You're the professional; I need you to do it for me. You'll definitely get some kind of academy award or Nobel prize for it. The development of orchids seen in time lapse will provide insight into the nature of the universe.

Wrong, I'm not a professional, just an obsessive amateur. I have an article which I can send to you that describes the entire process and the equipment needed and the software that's needed at the end etc. I no longer have a room that can be dedicated to the timelapse shooting.

The finest one I did can't be shown on this forum, as it isn't of a slipper orchid, its of a Bulbophyllum. The behaviour of it completely blew me away. To this day it still astonishes me. I feel that this one video justifies all the months spent doing this and little else. I ended up setting it to music (with permission & paid for...) of Keith Jarrett. Here's that video link if you wish to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3K3mu46c2c

Oooooohhhhh..... touchingly beauty. Thanks for doing this and sharing with us. The music blends perfectly.

Can you tell us one more secret? How much time does this timelapse cover?

Latest posts

Back