Paphiopedilum wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
This is only the second year that I have bloomed this plant. I know that it's supposed to be an easy one, but the buds blast about 50% of the time with me.

Paphiopedilumwardiiflower12-21-2014_zps17d99815.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Paphiopedilumwardiiplant12-21-2014_zps935d824f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow! That one's very VERY nice. :drool: Love the form, colour and the foliage. It looks very healthy.

I've noticed that they like to blast. Mine has flowered twice now, so maybe yours will also become a regular bloomer (just because I wrote this, my wardii will blast next year)?

How did you manage to keep it from blasting? Mine has blasted just as it
began to open two years in a row. Did you do anything different that you
think of? I hope someday I'll be able to actually see what the bloom looks
like. Your bloom is quite nice.

How did you manage to keep it from blasting? Mine has blasted just as it
began to open two years in a row. Did you do anything different that you
think of? I hope someday I'll be able to actually see what the bloom looks
like. Your bloom is quite nice.

Thank you for the compliments. I wish that I could find the reason for the success with this bloom. Interestingly, about 1 month ago, the growth you can see behind the one in bloom had a spike that matured to the point that it was just opening, and it blasted for no reason I can discern. This spike emerged soon after that and did fine but I never moved the plant or changed anything.

I like it!! The foliage is very nice, kind of like a malipoense without the iridescent tessalation and limieanum with a very light pink tinted underside nice bloom

I don't seem to have a problem with mine blasting (I have a lot, it is probably my favorite species). I do have a major problem with getting them to hold seed capsules though. Every time I pollinate them they blast within a few weeks.

Some guru wants to teach me the secret - I'll give them a flask. I have several really amazing ones that I just can't get to go... :mad: The next generation could be really sweet - if there ever is one.

I don't seem to have a problem with mine blasting (I have a lot, it is probably my favorite species). I do have a major problem with getting them to hold seed capsules though. Every time I pollinate them they blast within a few weeks.

Some guru wants to teach me the secret - I'll give them a flask. I have several really amazing ones that I just can't get to go... :mad: The next generation could be really sweet - if there ever is one.
So you DO have a problem with them blasting, but they're saving it for the capsules instead. :wink:

Rob,
By any chance do you leave pollen on one or both sides of the flower being pollenated?

No, I usually take the pollen off everything before pollinating. Keeps my fat not so nimble fingers from self pollinating (or worse, losing pollen on the floor).

On thing I usually do is crack off the pouches before pollination to make it easier to get at the stigmatic surface. And so I know where I've been. Wonder if that might be a problem? Doesn't seem to hurt my chances on any of the other paphs.

Latest posts

Back