• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling most of my paphs...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
Hello fellow ST'ers. It is with a heavy heart that I post this. I have made a very tough decision, and it is time for me to make a sacrifice. I am selling the majority of my paph collection for pennies on the dollar. All are in good health, I wouldn't sell what I wouldn't buy myself. Feel free to make offers, ask questions, I can send pics of whatever you'd like (via email). Multi plant discounts. First come first served. Can accommodate shipping desires, split shipping costs, etc. Ok, here's the list...:(

sale list
Mexi xerophyticum 'oaxaca' 3 growth division $50
Paph delenatii x sib (Giant x Black Foliage) BS $15
Paph hirsutissimum v. esquirolei (2) seedling $5
Paph kolopakingii seedling (Taiwan breeding) $10
Paph kolopakingii (Jamboree HCC/AOS x Jeanie's Green Giant) NBS $40
Paph roth ('Gigantic' FCC/AOS x 'Perfection' FCC/AOS) seedling $25
Paph roth ('Black Diamond' x 'Atticus' AM/AOS) seedling $25
Paph roth ('Saltin Pepper' x 'Western*
Monarch' FCC/OZ) NBS $75
Paph roth ('Imperial Wings' SM/JOGA x 'Perfection' GM/JOGA) NBS $75
Paph roth ('Revolution' B/CSA x 'Mont Millais' FCC/ RHS FCC/AOS) NBS $75
Paph sanderianum x sib seedling $25
Paph stonei ('MBG' x 'Jean') seedling $25
Paph venustum v measureianum (compot) $25
Paph (Kolosand x Angel Hair) seedling $5
Paph (gigantifolium 'Dark Warrior' x kolopakingii 'Jamboree' HCC/AOS) NBS $25
Paph (stonei 'Jean' x Kolosand 'Windy Hill' HCC/AOS) NBS $15
Paph. Bel Royal (kolopakingii 'Jamboree' HCC/AOS x rothschidianum 'New Dimension') BS $40
Paph Cereal Killer (Apple Jack 'Windy Hill' HCC/AOS x Zephyrus Grand Macabre 'Burgundy Glow' AM/AOS) NBS $5
Paph Greta Kooiker (Shin-Yi's Pride 'Windy Hill' AM/AOS x parishii 'Green Spiders') NBS $15
Paph Magic Lantern compot) $25
Paph Prince Edward of York 2 compots $25 each

Thanks Heather, everything will be fine. Just trying to get some manageability back in life. Orchids are my passion, but not my first (or second) priority. So when it comes down to it at the end of the day, I'd like to say I did everything I could for my family, priority one.

I do believe almost everything has been spoken for. When I get done looking through emails I will compile a list of what is left later on tonight

Thank you all so, so much for helping me and my family out in our time of need. I can't thank you enough. It's overwhelming. I can't express my gratitude enough.

How many do you still have I'm intrrested in yur angel hair x kolosand and parishii x shin yi's pride

Yeah, I feel for you, on the bright side thousands of orchid enthusiasts and possibly myself will be here to more than help you get yur collection back

Adam I did the very same thing a couple years ago. Possibly for different reasons but it was the best move I could have made. It really added stability and opened up my days not having to devote so much time to my collection. I still have a few orchids but they are now a pleasure to care for. Best of luck!

Thank you all for your kind words. I feel I should clue you in on what's going on. We live in a small town on the edge of woods and farmland. Recently, we discovered a brown recluse infestation in our basement storage room. We have all but eliminated whatever food source available, but they are still holding on, in force. The extermination process entails fumigating the house, which for a family of four living on a single income is a costly process. It will require hotel stays. Secondly, I've been warned that the process will most likely kill my plants. So I'm saving what I can manage moving back and forth, practically, which is very few.

Really, the psychological torment of seeing poisonous spiders run across the floor next to our 2 and 3 year old children is really wearing us down. Our 3 year old gets it, and is scared of his every step. Our 2 year old we witnessed trying to capture one with her blanket.

So, in summary, we will be fine. It is just going to take time and money. And sacrifice. But it's all worth it for the peace of mind it will bring. So thank you all for your kindness, concern, and well wishes. I appreciate it more than you know. We appreciate it. Thank you all

Oh, that's creepy, Adam. So sorry to learn that you've got this issue to deal with. Bummer! Yes, of course, you need to protect your family.....absolutely. I presume that there is not a greenhouse business or garden centre nearby that would temporarily house your collection for you. Getting rid of almost everything has got to be hard to do. So sorry!

John, I'm sure I could have had Marilyn from Windy Hill house some plants for me short term, but the financial burden of this process is what made me decide to go ahead and let go of most of my plants.

We had a similar problem in my aunt's house. A 60+ year old house in Texas, brown recluse spiders would show up magically in every room, in numbers. We tried fumigating (unprofessionally) and my aunt was ready to sell the house.

What did work was caulk and spray foam. We went sort of military style securing each room. Now it's been spider free for years. It was a kind of a small house, and I'm not saying this would work for your situation, but maybe consider physically sealing things up and spaying foam in walls and floors.

Good luck!

Thanks Rob. Yes, sealing off the house is the next step, starting with new windows (we have a split level, so windows are at ground level on bottom floor).

I have sealed up most of the house, which was advised against actually. Since our storage room is so full of cardboard and antique wood furnitue, they have a haven in there. Sealing it off prevented the outflow of spiders, and the ones that are trapped in are happy in their dark woody dungeon, and reproducing. Now that the food source is scarce, they don't have anywhere to escape to except the rest of the house, foraging for food (since they can't build webs they are constantly on predator mode for food). It's a nightmare. It seems like there's no winning.

A few towns over a house was condemned last year due to a brown recluse infestation. I don't know how many spiders it takes for that to happen, but I don't want to find out.

Latest posts

Back