Opinions of Fertilizers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trdyl

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been reading conflicting information about fertilizers. Go figure... Some say use a "balanced fertilizer", others a fertilizer with low phosphorus and yet others use blossom busters in the fall. So, what do y'all suggest for Phrags?

Over the last few years I've been using a blossom buster, 15-30-15, year round for Cattleya Alliance, Vanda Alliance and even a Paph Greyi with great results.

I learn the hard way, try and if fails try something else, yur plants will show you deprivation if you pay attention to them, thats what I do . Think about what they might get in their natural habitat

Hey Ted. FWIW, all of my plants - including phrags - have been getting very dilute K-Lite in RO water at every watering (2-3x/week summer, 1-2x winter) since November of 2011, with KelpMax at a tablespoon per gallon added about monthly, and I am very happy with their growth and blooming.

I've been reading conflicting information about fertilizers.

I think as long as there are orchid growers this will always be the case.

The only thing I will say is that there is quite a lot of evidence now that completely refutes the high P bloom booster claims. For example so called bloom booster high P fertilizer for african violets actually reduce the flower count. I think 15 30 15 are crazy figures for general use.

Hello,

I have the best results here by watering at pH 7 with sligthy acidic fertilizer (contains ammonium). the slow pH drop between two waterings makes all macro and micro nutrients easily available by plants (all macro, micros and other organics in the water). quite low K and low P. Quite low fertilizing. Phrag kovachii was not growing well for me before I do this way. :)

Latest posts

Back