Advice needed kovachii seed sowing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteson

Phragmad
Reaction score
After years waiting.... I´ve got a "pod" of Pk :rollhappy:. I suspect that it is a selfing from an self-pollinated plant. The pod is impressive in size... almost 1.2 cm W x 7 cm L... and it is full of seed.
I've read in this forum some advices from some time ago...
I´ve read that Pk is hard to germinate, somewhere I read that it is really easy... somewhere that needs a medium with high pH... somewhere that the pH does not matter...
I´ve been succesful with schlimii, besseae, lindenii, longifoluim and others using half strengh P668 + coconut water and very low agar concentration... but I am a bit scared about this sowing :confused: because I´ve been waiting for a long time to get the seed and I could take a long time to get more...

Any advice is more than welcome

Pictures of the Phragmipedium kovachii seeds

Almost 95% of the seed has viable embryos!

Phragmipedium kovachii seed 40X @ Transmitted Light
6izz.jpg

Phragmipedium kovachii seed 40X @ Reflected Light
7q7n.jpg

Phragmipedium kovachii seed 100X @ Transmitted Light
yabs.jpg

Phragmipedium kovachii seed 100X @ Reflected Light
fj3y.jpg

maybe one of the breeders here will know.

In any case I am going to sow some of the seed tomorrow. I've prepared:
P668 at half strenght (sugar corrected to 18g/l)
100ml/l of coconut water
3.5 gr/l of agar
pH corrected to 6.0

Sucess or Failure will be posted here.

Good luck! I look forward to a positive next post from you.

Thanks a lot Trithor.

Two batches of seed were sow yesterday.
The first as described above, the second one in liquid medium (as was adviced for Paphios by Xavier).

Let´s wait a couple of weeks....

Last edited:
First report:

Testas are out, embryos growing in both media. :) (germination in dark conditions)

In the first medium (P668 1/2 + CW) the embryos seem to be slightly more developped than in liquid media.

No green color yet but everything seems to be going pretty well... fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Wow that seems fast for germination.
Very good!
What was your sterilization procedure?

Hi Rick,

The night before sowing I put the seed in a test tube containing water + table sugar, I put a rubber cap and apply vaccum with a syringe. (8h of vaccum treatment is enough)
My standard sterilization procedure is 10 minutes in 10% bleach, 10 minutes in 5% bleach and one rinse in distilled water.

Last edited:
That's fantastic! I would love to try and sow my own Phrags :) any chance of a new pic?

That's fantastic! I would love to try and sow my own Phrags :) any chance of a new pic?

Hi Missgreen, If you do not have experience with in-vitro procedures I would advice to start with something easier... Phrags are not especially hard to germinate but need some "special cares"...

This weekend I can take a new picture for you... they are going quite fine but much more slower than other phrags.

Oh I'm not going to try and sow anything just yet :) next on the list is to get a flask of seedlings of some kind. But which orchids are easier than Phrags?

Latest posts

Back