Phrag. pearcei culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
First of all, how do you pronounce "pearcei"? I've been pronouncing it peer-see-i. Is this correct?

I've been wanting to get a phrag for a while now but lots of the phrags are really big and I really like pearcei.

-How tall does it get, and what are it's growth habits like? Is it vigorous, slow, ect.?

-How would you water and fertilize it? Some say to put it in a mix with no spagnum and set it in a saucer of water. Others say hydroponics. There is 1 website that sells hydroponic kits and a local nursery and a hydroponic store have materials. But I don't know if I should just jump into hydroponics. Leo says that letting a plant dry too much can be a reason for leaf tip die back. I could buy distilled water if it was in hydroponics. So just need some advice on watering and your opinions on hydroponics. I know phrags usually like a lot more water than paphs.

I have no idea.

Tall? Do you mean it's spike? According to orchidslippers.info, the spike can be anywhere between 10-45 cm. The leaves, 20 - 40 cm (should mean a leaf span about 40 - 80cm then?).

I've recently gotten my first Phrag, a Green Hornet (pearcei x longfolium in some order) and of what I've heard is that the more light, the faster they grow so I'm keeping mine with my multifloras. They are also faster and more vigorous growers than Paphs and bloom more often too.

I have sphagnum in my mix, and since no one advised me not to (I asked), I think it's okay. I think that it's more important to repot it often if you have sphagnum in the substrate though, since it seems to deteriorate quickly and increase the mineral buildup if I've understood it correctly.

I've also understood that Phrags are more sensitive to water quality and it seem most people water them with RO-/rainwater. I don't and we'll see how it goes. So far, not so good I'm afraid.

I was afraid of over watering, but it seem to be practically impossible to do so, so now I've increased the watering, and there are now plenty of little root nubs starting to grow on the old roots. :D

Good luck with your Phrag! It's a handsome species (no, I'm not partial at all only 'cause I have a primary hybrid with pearcei as a parent, no siree).

For me this is one of the easiest fastest growing phrags, and I have lots of it.

It can be pretty variable in size, but typically it will have narrow grass/sedge like leaves, and the plant will be 8-12 inches tall. The leaves are much longer, but curve under their own weight so leaf length is anywhere from 10 - 16 inches long.

I think you can pot them anyway you like as long as you give them LOTS of low TDS water.

I have some doing great in a basket just like the gratrixianum I posted, and some in SH. You can plant in straight moss in a basket and leave in a tray of water. They are just super easy.

The hydroponic orchid website is www.hydro-orchids.com. Is hydroponic worth looking into for this phrag if I use complete fertilizer and pure water or is if more complicated than I think?

And does this phrag need high humidity? Mine is usually around 50%-60%.

I think you should also take a look at Ray's site for semi hydro growing. Works for just about any phrag.

Very simple.

Orchid Boy, this might give you a better idea how you can grow pearc-eee-i. Plant's in S/H in a "dixie" cup. been there for a number of years.
P1070765.jpg

P. pearcei, at least in the form labelled "equadorense" is very easy to grow, with leaves about 8-12" long. I'd grow it like a traditional phrag, but it spreads, so if you don't want to re-pot often, put it in a relatively wide pot. Unlike paphs, phrags can do very well when over-potted.

The plant I post is the variety "ecuadorense"

Here the judges are looking over my pearcei v pearcei. You can see the size of the plant and the height of the flower.
P1070611.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and help everyone. What should I expect to pay for a BS or NBS one? Hauserman's had them for $12.50 and $20. If I decide to do hydroponics, what size pot should I get?

As mentioned there are 2 types pearcei and ecuadorense. try to get a multi-growth plant. mine is in a tray w/ water flowing so the roots are wet. I pronounse it peer-say-ee! :D

First Rays has this kind of pot. No holes in the bottom, holes farther up the sides. https://www.firstrays.com/cgi/cart/....261&product=Containers!S/H&pid=543&keywords=

Hydro-orchids has this kind of pot. Slots on side and holes in bottom. You are supposed to set it in an outer pot or in a saucer. http://www.hydro-orchids-store.com/6culturepot.html

Is one better or easier?

No. As long as Ray's pots are clear you can see how much water is in the reservoir. If you use a standard opaque pot or basket, then you need to use a tray, and then you can directly see how much water is in the tray.

If you use a fine plastic net basket then be prepared to leave the plant in the basket indefinitely, and just periodically set the plant, basket and all into a new basket as it grows. Otherwise you'll never get the roots untangled without breaking them up too much.

As mentioned there are 2 types pearcei and ecuadorense.

Actually there's probably infinite minor variation in the pearcei/ecuadorense concept. big-small and mostly green - shades of pink added.

John M thinks there is a hybrid swarm between pearcei and boisieranum.

IMHO I think its just a very common weed species in the countries of origin, that is just highly variable. Even within the local populations.

John M thinks there is a hybrid swarm between pearcei and boisieranum.
Rick,
Isn't this suppose to be richteri?

Latest posts

Back