Paph. gratrixianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
At least I think it is one anyway...

This is a little premiere bloomer and the first flower is a bit on the lopsided...eh...side? but it's cute. :)

I would have loved if it had had green on the dorsal as well, but one can't always get what one wants. :p

It has a second bud too, so it will have two flowers as a premiere blooming.

Enjoy this first, slightly lopsided, flower (and to be honest, I don't know if it's completely opened yet)!

245241.orig.jpg

245242.orig.jpg

Looks like var. daoense to me. Very nice, indeed.

I agree, although the KEW wouldn't. (according to them, it's the same as a regular gratrixianum - but we'll leave that to the taxonomists)

What is the vertical NS on this flower?

And please do post more pictures, especially of the other flower also!

I agree, although the KEW wouldn't. (according to them, it's the same as a regular gratrixianum - but we'll leave that to the taxonomists)

What is the vertical NS on this flower?

And please do post more pictures, especially of the other flower also!
I've tried to read about gratrixianum and what a "real" gratrixianum should look like, it seems to be a taxonomical jungle when it comes to gratrixianum, villosum etc... But I think I can say it's a gratrixianum at least. ;)

The vertical NS? What does that mean (noob alert!) :confused:

Here are some more pictures anyway, I like this little guy more and more, especially now that it has "ruffled" up a bit. :D

245422.orig.jpg

245438.orig.jpg

Yay, soon it'll have two flowers! :D
245423.orig.jpg

That is really nice and different. Love the dorsal. The leaves look to be much wider than a normal gratrixianum and I can't see any red at the base. Are the leaves just completely green?

Oops, sorry! The NS is the natural spread, the distance from either petal tip to petal tip or the top of the dorsal sepal to the bottom of the pouch. So basically, how tall is the flower from top to bottom?

Again, very beautiful.

That is really nice and different. Love the dorsal. The leaves look to be much wider than a normal gratrixianum and I can't see any red at the base. Are the leaves just completely green?
The leaves are 4cm (slightly wider than 1.5") wide and I was surprised when I got it since I had expected them to look more like those on my (probable) villosum but instead they look more like the leaves on my roebelenii. They're not completely green, there are purple spots on the base of them, but they're not as densely spotted as on my (still, probable) villosum. I'll upload a picture later on of the base of the plant so you'll see what I mean.

Oops, sorry! The NS is the natural spread, the distance from either petal tip to petal tip or the top of the dorsal sepal to the bottom of the pouch. So basically, how tall is the flower from top to bottom?

Again, very beautiful.
Aha, I see. Thanks for clarifying the abbreviation to this newbie. ;)

The flower is a bit shorter than 9cm (3.5") from top to bottom.

Thanks, I'm really happy with this purchase. :D

That is a gem. I have one in my collection my self just got it two weeks ago.

Thanks! The second flower is still blooming, while the first one fell victim to the string of the blinds (I accidentally hanged it...oops...)

Latest posts

Back