Nanodes medusa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chuck

This is another of those plants that I would grow just for the foliage but the flowers are fascinating. They look as if they would be delicate but they have tremendous substance.

nanodesmedusaplant2.jpg

nanodesmedusaflower.jpg

nanodesflowerdetail.jpg

Nice color form; great shots. I've never seen one grown potted before. What do you grow it in?

:drool::drool::drool: another one to add to the want list!
Give us some culture tips please!

Nice color form; great shots. I've never seen one grown potted before. What do you grow it in?

:drool::drool::drool: another one to add to the want list!
Give us some culture tips please!

How cool! Yes, I'm curious to know how you grow this too...

Thanks for you kind comments everyone.

Well, let's see. It is potted in a very loosely packed CHC mix. It hasn't been repotted in five years. The mix is 1/2 medium CHC that have been well washed and 1/2 inorganic material including lava rock, sponge rock, and clay pellets. It gets watered every three days using rain water. Fertilized with balanced fertilizer at about 240 ppm tds about once a week most of the year except for April, May and June when it receives about 500 ppm tds. I add a little of either calcium nitrate or magnesium sulphate to the irrigation water every two weeks for a couple of days. It hangs up high in the cool end of my intermediate greenhouse ( around 58 degrees F at night in the winter ). It recieves full sun in the winter and 30% shade in the summer. It seems pretty forgiving and blooms each year at about this time.

Chuck

Super grown.:clap::clap::clap:

Most people trash them. I had mine linger for a few years before it gave up on my care.

Very inpressive blooms!!! Grewat photos too!!! Is the foliage so light green?

very nice. vendor jim rice in upstate ny used to have these, and club member had a nice one and the culture was always 'cool and bright', especially in the winter. I hadn't remembered that the flowers were so red; thought they were more green. always liked this species but never tried to get one because of the whole 'cool and bright' thing which I can't usually pull off growing under lights

the foliage is very light green, and the plants are very solid

I really like this! Is it a miniature? I'll go look it up. Looks similar to Epidendrum longirepens, which grows well for me but is a very reluctant bloomer.
Fabulous macro shot Chuck!

Hi Tracey,

No, it's not a miniature. The clump is about 10 inches across.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back