C.maxima coerulea - NOT!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
Yet another expensive color form which has bloomed out not as expected. I am giving up on these unusual cattleya color forms as the breeders only seem to be interested in making money from these seedlings when they could produce many more plants true to type by mericloning, but then they wouldn't be as expensive. So they hoard the originals and occasionally sell off a division for really big bucks. Doesn't really make sense, but that's how they seem to be playing it. Meanwhile we just hold our breath and hope the original doesn't die before someone has the sense to mericlone these rare and beautiful flowers.

This one turned out to be a fairly nice maximum, but I already have a typo color form and don't have room for two.

Attachments

• maximacoeruleanot0212.jpg
    maximacoeruleanot0212.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 59
Yet another expensive color form which has bloomed out not as expected. I am giving up on these unusual cattleya color forms as the breeders only seem to be interested in making money from these seedlings when they could produce many more plants true to type by mericloning, but then they wouldn't be as expensive. So they hoard the originals and occasionally sell off a division for really big bucks. Doesn't really make sense, but that's how they seem to be playing it. Meanwhile we just hold our breath and hope the original doesn't die before someone has the sense to mericlone these rare and beautiful flowers.

This one turned out to be a fairly nice maximum, but I already have a typo color form and don't have room for two.

I coudn't agree more tenman, many times I have bought ''special'' Catt species which after 4-5 years of waiting turn out ordinary. I just bought a labiata coerulea (FCC x #whatever) seedling but I'm not banking on it!

I guess it must have started in Japan, and then i got exported right into the heart of Brazil. It’s common knowledge there that a merliclone is absolutely worthless crap. It’s just not done (anymore). There once was a nursery called Equilab, and they had enough sense in them, to merliclone all the best plants they could produce. Even today their cultivars are searched for all over the world. But it makes way more sence to sell off tiny seedlings of a “great” x “otherstorry”, and to let the real great stuff eventually die out again, than to preserve these cultivars for future generations to come by merlicloning them. The world is insane. There’s no hope for us!!!

Is this a large plant?

Not especially; it's filling a four-inch pot.

Nice one nevertheless. Was this bought as a clone or a seedling of the coerulea parent?

A selfing.

Frankly, I've had so many of these that I'm starting to think the growers are just lying. That they just cross any two of the species or self any one that happens to be in bloom, and then slap on a tag that ups the price by claiming to be a rarer type.

IF you look at some of the old lithograghs from the old days when Cattleyas were ''new'', you are blown away by some of the incredible varieties and superior clones that were selected right out of the jungle. dowiana just to name one! And not just Catts but paphs, dends etc. etc. Were are they all now??, Gone forever! Surely some things are more valuable that profit

Was this a selfing of a coerulea form? If so, there's no guarantee that the offspring will turn out to be a coerulea form too.

I've talked with someone a while ago and I was told that selfing these special clones of Cats / Laelia's is no good because the offspring will be variable again. So even if the mother plant is an awarded cultivar a "x self" will be no guarantee to similar coloured flowers.

Mericloning / dividing is actually the only way to get more plants with same characteristics.

Latest posts

Back