Phrag. kovachii 'Morobamba'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Phrag. kovachii 'Moyobamba'

Our latest kovachii that opened up: Phrag. kovachii 'Moyobamba'. It is a cross between 'Laura' x 'Ana'. It has one more flower spike coming!

Flower:
PhragkovachiiMpyobambaLxA1122012.jpg

Plant:
PhragkovachiiMpyobambaLxA-plant-1122012.jpg

Robert

Nice flower and plant.....my kovachii's have spikes but the spikes have stopped progressing. Is that something you have seen with yours or is it my particular problem? The inflorescenses are seemingly ready to bloom but the buds aren't forming. They have been in spike for several months.

Nice flower and plant.....my kovachii's have spikes but the spikes have stopped progressing. Is that something you have seen with yours or is it my particular problem? The inflorescenses are seemingly ready to bloom but the buds aren't forming. They have been in spike for several months.

I am guessing the plants are staying too dry. We grow ours on an "Eb and Flow" system, so they get watered twice a day. We had the same problem when we used to grow them like our other Phrags (when we watered them twice a week, and growing them in a regular bark mix). At the time they would form flower spikes, but then they would just sit there without forming flower buds or abort. Now that we grow them on an Eb and Flow system they don't have that problem anymore. Call or email Jason and he can explain the specifics of how we grow them.

Robert

oeps, I misspelled it, it should be 'Moyobamba'. It is named after a town in Northern Peru, and also means "Circular Plain' in Quechua. As the flowers are pretty "circular" we thought it was an appropriate name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moyobamba

Robert

I figured. :wink:
But thought maybe you were referring to a different bamba.

VERRRRY nice, Robert! It's so nice to see this! The plant looks really happy too.

After you mentioned earlier that you now grow your PK's in the eb and flow system, I repotted my seedlings (which I've had for a lo-ooooong time and which are still quite small), into clear plastic cups with a drainage hole about 1" up the side, creating a reservoire of water in the bottom. I also make a point of watering them heavily more often, flushing out the reservoire. Now, they're rooting well and beginning to grow like never before.

BTW: What is the NS of this flower?

Last edited:
Nice flowers and photo! Nice flowers and the photographer deserves the other credit for taking such a nice photo!:clap::clap::clap:

Paphman910

Latest posts

Back