Paph. armeniacum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
This is the first year that I've had Paph. armeniacum in bloom for 12 months of the year. This is a fresh flush of blooms that should be marking the next round. It blooms most heavily in the winter but this year there were 2 blooms that lasted all summer.

Papharmeniacum11-13-2011.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi,
what amazing plants:drool:, can I ask about medium etc,or would that be giving away secrets!! Thankyou

Oh my! I'm just starting down this path, and it's so wonderful to see these pictures right now! What is the medium you are using inside that sphag lining, and how long has the large basket been intact?

Hi,
what amazing plants:drool:, can I ask about medium etc,or would that be giving away secrets!! Thankyou

Thank you.

They're planted in "standard" paph mix: fir bark, perlite, and charcoal. The baskets are wire baskets with long-fibered sphagnum moss lining the basket to retain the mix. I grow them with bright "cattleya" light and the night temps. are 60F in winter and 70F in summer. The daytime temps are about 10-20F higher. They're kept moist/wet year-round. I water daily in the summer and every other day in the winter. They get weekly applications of fertilizer (urea-free) at 125-150 ppm.

Oh my! I'm just starting down this path, and it's so wonderful to see these pictures right now! What is the medium you are using inside that sphag lining, and how long has the large basket been intact?

I use "standard" paph mix: fir bark, perlite, and charcoal. The middle basket is in its 10th year. The others are in their 4th year.

I can not get my plants to do that. I've had them in a basket for over a year, std Paph mix and water when they are drying out (not completely) but mine have rotted! Do you use "large" particles as your Std mix"?

I can not get my plants to do that. I've had them in a basket for over a year, std Paph mix and water when they are drying out (not completely) but mine have rotted! Do you use "large" particles as your Std mix"?

I'm sorry to hear that. Mine were rotting while they were in pots. I use fine fir bark and perlite. Since I grow indoors there may be a slightly lower humidity level than in a greenhouse. I also have fans directed at them all day long (they're off at night).

WOW ! Simply fantastic !!:clap::clap:
Like Rick, mine didn't fair well in this method either..but it was my fault as I would let them go too dry, and also mealies feasted on them . I have salvaged a couple of pieces but they will never bloom for me I am sure.:sob:

Best grown armeniacum I have seen for years...

The last time I saw such plants, it was at Norris Powell place, armeniacum 'Los Osos' FCC/AOS, grown in a plastic basket too, many growths, many blooms. The basket was about 5L if I remember, that was in 1995...

SlipperKing for the rotting armeniacum, it can be either a lack of lime, or the base of the growths or stolons are allowed to dry out a bit too much. Many armeniacum that rot have their rot starting from the stolons, even tiny pieces of stolon, and moving up to the bigger growth.

I remember that you posted these before but I still think it's a very impressive sight to see such big plants.

Best grown armeniacum I have seen for years...

The last time I saw such plants, it was at Norris Powell place, armeniacum 'Los Osos' FCC/AOS, grown in a plastic basket too, many growths, many blooms. The basket was about 5L if I remember, that was in 1995...

SlipperKing for the rotting armeniacum, it can be either a lack of lime, or the base of the growths or stolons are allowed to dry out a bit too much. Many armeniacum that rot have their rot starting from the stolons, even tiny pieces of stolon, and moving up to the bigger growth.

Bingo! I believe that is how it happened, A BIG Thank you! Roth!

Latest posts

Back