Darlingtonia californica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
My most current project has been "repotting" my Darlingtonia californica. This is a carnivorous plant, and it grows wild in California and Oregon. Here is a pic of the plant in-situ near Gasquet, CA...

darlingtoniahabitat.jpg

The plant grows near cold water seeps and streams, and is often seen growing with two other carnivorous plants (Pinguicula macroceras subsp. nortensis & Drosera rotundifolia) and an orchid (Epipactis gigantea). I purchased my Darlingtonia two years ago at Lowe's Home Improvement store. It was a small seedling inside a plastic bubble mixed in with the venus flytraps. They are not rare in cultivation, but they are hard to find for sale, so how Lowe's got their hands on them is anybody's guess.

This is the jar I planted the Darlingtonia in shortly after I got it. As you can see in the photos, the plant added several pitchers and the roots took off.

darlingtoniaold1.jpg

darlingtoniaold2.jpg

I felt the old jar was getting too small for the plant, so I bought a larger jar and tried to replicate the rocky terrain that the Darlingtonia grows in. I also added several small Pinguicula macroceras subsp. nortensis and a Drosera rotundifolia. The new jar is 18 inches tall and 10 inches wide, so there is plenty of room for everything to stretch out.

darlingtonianew1.jpg

darlingtonianew2.jpg

darlingtonianew3.jpg

I will post some better photos once the new plants wake up from dormancy and the moss gets settled in and starts to spread. I like the new jars so much, I planted my other carnivorous plants in them as well. They were too tall for my plant shelf so I had to invert the lids.

stand4.jpg

From left to right: Darlingtonia californica and friends, Cephalotus follicularis, Sarracenia purpurea.

More pictures in the coming months as the summer growing season kicks into full swing.

Wow, that's a great environment for pitchers :drool: !!!! Do you open the cover from time to time? Jean

When I had them in the jars with the metal lids, I opened them once every three months or so to add some fresh water. I just left them alone to do their thing.

I have been trying to decide if I am going to vent the new jars more frequently. The moss turned brown in my old jars because I wasn't misting it. It looked unsightly, but it was still growing as you can see in my photos.

Actually, everything I have read about Darlingtonia and Cephalotus suggests that they hate stagnant air. Just don't tell my plants that, they might believe you. :)

Cool plants. What do you feed them?

Very diluted, urea free orchid fertilizer. I swear, I am probably doing everything wrong with them, but they seem to be alright with it. I have often wondered if I should start feeding them mealworms. I think I read that most carnivorous plants still get some of their nutrition from photosynthesis.

Very cool!

From my own personal experience, the main thing you need to do, is to keep the roots cool!!! How long have you had them? They should do okay in those containers, but they need lots of light and cool temperatures, especially on the roots. It looks like you have a closed system there in those jars, and I think they might do better with more air flow, but most importantly, keep them cool! Second, or maybe even more important, is don't ferilize them! Mealworms would be a good idea, but it might be tricky to get them down the curved pitcher. If you are able to put the jar outside for the summer, they will catch their own food, but again, they need to be cool. Do a search on Darlingtonia, and you will find they are not the easiest species to keep.

Where are you?

Very cool!

From my own personal experience, the main thing you need to do, is to keep the roots cool!!! How long have you had them? They should do okay in those containers, but they need lots of light and cool temperatures, especially on the roots. It looks like you have a closed system there in those jars, and I think they might do better with more air flow, but most importantly, keep them cool! Second, or maybe even more important, is don't ferilize them! Mealworms would be a good idea, but it might be tricky to get them down the curved pitcher. If you are able to put the jar outside for the summer, they will catch their own food, but again, they need to be cool. Do a search on Darlingtonia, and you will find they are not the easiest species to keep.

Where are you?

In Missouri. Yeah, everything you have said is exactly what the culture experts say. Airflow. Cool temps. No fertilizer.

Well, actually people are starting to have good results with very low power fertilizer on some carnivorous plants. Apparently, Cephalotus responds well to some light fertilizing at the roots. All of this is according to internet sources, for what it's worth.

I have had Darlingtonia for two years, in the jar. It is putting on new pitchers now after a winter dormancy. Next fall will be my three year anniversary with the plant, so something is going right. I think the roots stay cool, because the glass jar stays cool, and helps maintain a proper balance between the sometimes warm, humid top of the jar and cool, moist bottom of the jar. They get about four to five hours of direct sun a day from the east/southeast. The rest of the day is bright indirect light and spillover from a compact fluorescent fixture from the shelf above.

I have had the Sarracenia Purpurea for about as long as the Darlingtonia. I have only had the Cephalotus for six months, but it is putting on new juvenile pitchers too.

Hey Kevin, want me to really blow your mind? The Darlingtonia is growing in Miracle Grow potting soil. Has been for two years now. Everyone says that is instant death for carnivorous plants. I thought instant death would be a lot faster. :)

Really, I am doing most everything wrong. Wrong soil. No airflow. Intermittent watering. Fertilizing at the roots. It's a wonder the plants are alive at all, much less growing happily.

The plants look real healthy and happy. Not what I'd expect with Miracle Grow in a closed jar!!

John,

Love that you're breaking all the rules. Something I try to get across in my lectures is that all growing conditions are tightly interconnected and that if you're in tune with that you'll do okay. You either have an understanding of how your system is working or you accidentally stumbled on it. I wouldn't make any major changes.

Ernie,

One thing I have tried to get away from, is fussing my plants to death.

I think more plants are killed by constantly tweaking everything trying to make them happy. I know I used to be bad about moving my plants around. Now, I just put them in a pot and let them grow. And I haven't had many problems since.

I bought the Darlingtonia cheap, so I was able to not stress too much about buying complicated soil mixes and building a custom case. At the time the only way for me to keep the roots cool and provide good humidity was to put the plant in a terrarium. I think "stumbling" on a culture that they like is a pretty appropriate description. When reading the culture descriptions for these plants from all over the web, I have seen some pretty amazing statements about how the plants should be put in sterile soil, with no fertilizer, in exact temperature and lighting. Then they follow this up with the statement, Darlingtonia is hard to keep alive.

If it's so hard to keep alive, why are you trying the same old thing?

If nothing else, it is making for a great experiment. I am wondering how many years it will take for me to get this to flower. As I said, I bought it as a small seedling. The pitchers coming in this year seem to be coming faster and more vigorous, because I gave colder winter temperatures than last year. I still haven't been brave enough to let them get down into the 40F degree range yet.

Here is a really cool video showing mature pitchers with heads the size of baseballs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLsFoGBX7o

John,
I stand in awe because you are growing one of the hardest carnivorous plants known in a completely different environment and it is thriving!!!

For that, I applaud you for rewriting darlingtonia californica cultivation. :clap:

Latest posts

Back