Phragmipedium hartwegii forma baderi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here a very nice compact growing forma of the genus Phragmipedium
The plant is so smnall like Phrag. pearcei but really different,

Phragmipedium hartwegii forma baderi

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi-2011-03PflanzebmitFeuerzeug.jpg

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi2011-03-09Front.jpg

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi2011-03-09BlteFrontAusschnitt.jpg

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi2011-03-09seitl.jpg

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi2011-03-09seitlAusschnitt.jpg

Typical the staminode without hairs

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi2011-03-09Staminodium.jpg

Phragmipediumhartwegiiformabaderi-2011-03Pflanzea.jpg

Sometimes this form is in trade as Phragmipedium longifolium forma gracile.

Best greetings

Olaf

Hi Olaf,It will be very interesting to know the history of the plant...stable colonies in the wild or only a "lucky find" like Ph tetzlaffianum or Ph.christiansenianum?

Dear Valenzino,
the typical Phragmipedium hartwegii was described in 1852. It has leaves like Phrag. longifolium, but a staminode without hairs and came from Ecuador.
1994 plants emerged in trade and at a exhibition labeled as Phrag. hirtzii, which are similar in all flowerdetails to Phrag. hartwegii. Only the leaves are similar to Phrag. caricinum and the flowers are significant smaller. The plants were described as Phrag. hartwegii var. baderi by Jürgen RÖTH and me (Olaf GRUSS) and later reduced to a form of Phrag. hartwegii.
The owner of the first plant, which we had found at a exhibition 1994 - 11 - 12 in Ingolstadt and get a Broncemedal.
Later we found in different collections the same plants with different names, as Phrag. hirtzii, Phrag. longifolium gracile or also as Phrag. ecuadorense.
But it is nothing more then the dwarf-form of the rare Phrag. hartwegii.

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Olaf,
thanks for the very interesting informations.I was interested cause I want to breed this species and I wanted to be shure,that the ones around will not be originated all from the same clone.(dont want to do selfing...).
And about var hinksianum and his dwarf variety?Are different or maybe the hinksianum f.ma minutum is in reality harwegii...?

Dear Valenzino,
there is only an oficially described Phrag. longifolium var. roezlii forma minutum. This is really different from hartwegii.

Normally hinksianum is seen only as a synonym of longifolium and I have never hear about a forma minutum of. Perhaps you have informations about.

Best greetings

Olaf

Back