Remember this post ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it got too ruffly to remain a chiwuanum contender. Is the flower bigger than 12cm now?

If so straight hirsutisimum

Rick, the natural spread remains the same at 9.5 c.m.
Averyanov has descriptions for all three varieties as they occur in Vietnam.

chiwuanum ns = 6-8 cm
nominal hirsut ns = 10-14 cm
esquirolei ns = 12-16 cm

Also these values are the average and not the extremes, so apparently there is potential for a lot of overlap.

The relative lack of petal undulation is still the primary character for chiwuanum, the relative lack of hair on the stems/ovary is the primary character for esquirolei. The varieties are separated by geography and altitude, but since no one knows this info, then you are at the mercy of plant metrics.

Your flower has a fair amount of undulation with a size approaching the average for the nominal hirsut. The leaf pigmentation is kind of special for most of us to see, so I think you have a fairly special nominal variety hirsut.

im with the other guys. looks like a standard hirsutissimum. i have this variety, esquirolei, chiwuanum as well as one labeled var. nagaland (from the nagaland hills area) and Rick's size differences as listed above seem appropriate. there also seems to be some minor although still variable differences in petal stance as well as what the terminal ends of the petals do.

Latest posts

Back