Ponerorchis graminifolia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Ponerorchis is coming online now. Here are the first to open. These are very small plants standing no more than a few inches tall.

Already posted this one, but it is more open now.

PonerorchisFancyPinkSM.jpg

Interestingly, it threw one pale flower.

PonerorchisFancyPinkFLS.jpg

Here's a real dark one that my camera cannot accurately show - the color is much less red, but rather more blue and much deeper. Go figure.

PonerorchisDarkPurple.jpg

I just call this beauty, "angel".

PonerorchisAngel.jpg

More to follow in the coming week.

More coming into flower now. This one I call "Fancy Pink" is at its peak:

PonerorchisFPFLS.jpg

A nice lavender flower with a big lip:

Ponerorchis7.jpg

A nice bicolor with a nearly spoon shaped and flat lip:

Ponerorchis6.jpg

And the first one I ever grew, this little beauty that I bought at a hardware store back in 2004. She's like an old friend:

Ponerorchis0.jpg
Ponerorchis0FLS.jpg

Even more to follow!

You are once again being vigorously envied -- by me! :D :drool:
These don't have any fragrance, do they?
Got any cultural advice for us?
I've been eyeing these plants for a few years now, wondering whether or not to take the leap. :wink:

your area must have the most amazing hardware stores ever! extraordinary beauty especially like the hardware store bi-color:clap: these orchids remind me of salvia very "lippy":p

Thanks for the comments all. They are delightful little things and not too fussy, but of course also not so easy either.

Any chance you can post a group photo so we can see them all together for scale?

Here's most of them Heather. They are small, even the "big" ones.

PonerorchisCollection.jpg

These don't have any fragrance, do they?
Got any cultural advice for us?

Mark, no fragrance that I can tell. I grow them in pure kanuma with perfect drainage. The bulbs are planted just below the surface in a thin layer of sphagnum. They start growth in April, flower in June and July, and go down in late October. I keep them moist at all times until they finish flowering, and then back off the watering a tad, but never dry them out. During the growth cycle they are fertilized every three weeks with a very dilute liquid mix - too much and the leaf ends brown quickly. The like bright shade conditions, so make good paph companions. Once fully dormant they are kept near bone dry, just a tad of water once in a while. In growth they like warm temps (20-28 C) and in winter they are kept 0-10 C. I replant then every spring in fresh medium. Hope that helps.

Back