My Daylilies (lots of photos)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

Hi!

I thought I'd post some photos of some of my daylilies (Hemerocallis) in my garden. A couple of them are named varieties that I've purchased, but most of them are my own seedlings that I've grown from harvested seedpods after cross-pollinating them.

First up, this is Country Melody:

IMG_2016a.jpg

That one is a purchased plant. I've used it as a parent in many crosses. It passes on wider petals with a pie-crust edge.

Next, is another purchased plant. This one is Night Beacon. It's my only double.

IMG_2020a.jpg

This one is Geneva Firetruck. I purchased it last year and have used it in a few crosses. None of them are large enough to bloom yet.

IMG_2041a.jpg

The rest of these daylilies are my own seedlings:

IMG_2049a.jpg

IMG_2024a.jpg

IMG_2021a.jpg

IMG_2018a.jpg

IMG_2050a.jpg

IMG_2013a.jpg

IMG_2059a.jpg

This one is particularly nice. It's Evening Enchantment crossed with Night Beacon:

IMG_2051a.jpg

This last one took me by surprise. It has a very rich, intense color that doesn't really come through in the photos. It's also quite large, being seven inches across!

IMG_2057a.jpg

IMG_2047a.jpg

And a group photo:

IMG_2048a.jpg

Best Regards,
Nik

Generally, I find that they will bloom during their third season. The seven-inch one is blooming in it's second season. It's quite vigorous.

Geneva Firetruck is my favorite, I haven't see colors quite like that. Nice collection BTW. Mine haven't started to bloom yet, except for the Stellas.

Gorgeous! Do you breed tetraploids or diploids? I assume the double is a diploid....

Gorgeous! Do you breed tetraploids or diploids? I assume the double is a diploid....
I believe most of them are tetraploids, but I've have to research them on the internet to find out. I don't really know, off hand.

KyushuCalanthe, I buy all of my daylilies from Blue Ridge Daylilies on eBay. Here's a link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Blue-Ridge-Daylilies-DAYLILY-STORE?_rdc=1

They sell the healthiest, most robust lilies I've ever seen and at reasonable prices.

Best Regards,
Nik

KyushuCalanthe, I buy all of my daylilies from Blue Ridge Daylilies on eBay.

They sell the healthiest, most robust lilies I've ever seen and at reasonable prices.

Cool Nik. These really aren't available here in this form. I know a grower who charges insane prices for his, so good deal that you're getting them at a reasonable cost.

ooh gorgeous:drool:. have you ever eaten any? i like to use the candied flowers to decorate cakes, they look great and taste somewhat like cucumbers!
~ Jewel

I just took a few seeds from a selfing of a pod today! It's a medium purple with a golden center...quite pretty. I'm actually surprised it made any viable seed...even if only 2 were produced! lol. Since the growing season is so long down here, they'll probably bloom next season. :)

Thanks for posting!

David

I just took a few seeds from a selfing of a pod today! It's a medium purple with a golden center...quite pretty. I'm actually surprised it made any viable seed...even if only 2 were produced! lol. Since the growing season is so long down here, they'll probably bloom next season. :)Thanks for posting!David
You two are quite the enablers!
Do the seeds need to dry? plant right out in the beds, ala mother nature?

If it's early enough in the season, there's no reason not to plant them in soil right away. I plant my seed in pots filled with a good potting soil. If it's a bit later in the season, I will dry the seed for a few days and then store them in a plastic container in the refrigerator. The next spring, I will then soak them overnight or place between moistened paper towels overnight to revive them a bit before planting. I've had very good results with this method.

........and this is my first time to do daylilies from seed but i've always heard they are very easy from seed! So i decided to hybridize a few myself....i'll update when i see germination. :)

Enablers aren't a bad thing!!! ;)

Back