bog garden after burn

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

After removing about 30 pounds of sarracenia, and pine needle mulching in the winter, some of my bog garden caught fire when I was burning down some grass in Janurary. I liked how the fire cleared out the old pitchers so I burned the rest too, protecting only the orchids and dormant sundews. The fire ended up killing off most above ground growth, which I later cut down, making it like starting from new. Everything survived and I love the effect of not having the overwintered growths present cluttering the view, and the carnivores and orchids are all coming back stronger than ever. The only negative is that I think the fire also activated many more weed seeds than usual.

whole thing
DSCF7435.jpg

side view
DSCF7431.jpg

Sarracenia alata
DSCF7444.jpg

S. rubra? pretty sure I got it from lowe's as rubra, but my other rubras have fragrant red flowers
DSCF7436.jpg

DSCF7440.jpg

Drosera filiformis
DSCF7424-1.jpg

Drosera filiformis x rotundifolia
DSCF7427.jpg

Dionaea muscilupa 'Red Dragon'
DSCF7426.jpg

Spiranthes cernua var. odorata
DSCF7442.jpg

Platanthera blephariglottis
DSCF7443.jpg

other angles
DSCF7438.jpg

DSCF7430.jpg

DSCF7425.jpg

Forrest

My gosh what a gorgeous garden! It's too cold here to grow most of those outside...

That's the way to grow a bog garden! What other orchids do you have - Pogonia? Calopogon? That "rubra" reminds me of a type I used to grow in Florida known as "rubra wherryi" although that flower had more color. You may have a green form of v. gulfensis or it is a hybrid.

Great stuff!

Awesome garden! You are able to burn in the city there? Be sure to show us some pics when the orchids are blooming.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
I'm so envious! :smitten::smitten::smitten: Drop dead gorgeous! I look forward to an update every year!

Outstanding Forrest. Beautiful little bog garden. I really like how you did that.

Bob Betts, who back in the 1970's was my proffessor, was involved in the prairie restoration at Markham Prairie and the Fermi Lab prairie in Batavia, IL. This was one of the early prairie restorations. When in his ramblings about prairie and this ecosystem's adaptation to fire, he admitted to burning his back yard, the entire lecture hall started laughing.

A prairie burn near me that went disasterously wrong. I will post a new thread with images.

Latest posts

Back