Paphiopedilum in China - A interesting new book

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Yesterday I get from China a very interesting new book
written by
Liu Zhongjian, Chen Singchi, Chen Lijun and Lei Sipeng
The Genus Paphiopedilum in China
371 pages with a lot of pictures, especially also from the habitats.
It includes 27 species and many natural hybrids in China, but shows also the other species of the genus
It is published by Science Press, Beijing
ISBN 978-7-03-024864-0

2009TheGenusPaphiopediluminChina000.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Dear Ernie,
the book is written in chinese and many parts also in english, especially about the species.
It was just published, so there is no version only in english. But it is very interesting, also when I cannot read and understand chinese.

Best greetings

Olaf

The good news is that Chen Singchi is responsible for the whole jungle paphiopedilum business, he is the big Godfather in China to arrange shipping of thousands and thousands of paphs and cyps each year for the last 20 years... So he knows what he is talking about. Apart from that, he was responsible, for his very bleak reports of the "situations of paphiopedilum the wild" for paphs being on App I, and for a dramatic raise i the paphs prices...

His daughter in law went by the name of Kaichen Nursery - Chen-Yi nursery. Every year this trader smuggles some hundreds to thousands boxes of Paphiopedilum and cypripedium through the world, including USA, using EMS, DHL, and other lesser known carriers similar to those. On the other side, Pr. Chen was the CITES scientific authority for China. Strange world isn't that ?

today, I purchase some books, very nice book with many many situ pictures!

Attachments

• ????????0001.jpg
    ????????0001.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 68
  • ????????0002.jpg
    ????????0002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ????????0003.jpg
    ????????0003.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 47
  • ????????0004.jpg
    ????????0004.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 49
  • ????????0005.jpg
    ????????0005.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 60
I will be interested to see what people think once they start getting the book. I might hold off until I see reviews.

But the book looks like it might be the one for me.

I received a copy of this book last week, so I'll write up a little review of sorts.

What I like:
-The in-situ photographs are just phenomenal. Almost every species has an in-situ photo, and the vast majority have several. There is even an in-situ photograph of P. xfanaticum. These alone make this book worth it for me.
-Almost all species also have a landscape habitat photo. They really put the species in environmental context.
-While this is a China-specific Paph book, the authors also provide a synopsis of the species not found in China. Their coverage is exactly the same as those found in China save the line drawings and multiple photographs.
-Surprisingly, there isn't an entirely new treatment of the P. glanduliferum complex to join those of Garay/Cribb/Braem etc. They stuck with Cribb's treatment.
-The authors are VERY judicious with the correct usages of form/variety.
-I found the treatment of natural hybrids to be especially enjoyable.
-The authors provide a pretty awesome account of the P. delenatii found growing on limestone in Yunnan. I had only heard whisperings. They include in-situ photos!

Where it falls short:
-RANGE MAPS! There aren't any. You only have a county map of China in the front. These should be required for such monographs!
-The authors are lumpers in the extreme. I'm in favor of recognizing geographic variation no-matter the taxonomic rank. For example, no more Paph. micranthum var. eburneum. Similarly, the authors suggest sinking P. thaianum into P. godefroyae(??). You get the idea. To each their own, I suppose.
-The authors provided very little historic info on the various species. I suppose that isn't a requirement, but it certainly adds interest.

As a note, the majority of the introduction portions (cultivation, pollination, etc.) of the book are in Chinese. I don't really care about that. I can find that info elsewhere in Cribb's, Averyanov's, or Braem's books.

Bottom line: I'd get it. The photos are great, and the current price is impossible to beat.

I'm sure many of you are wondering where I got it. I purchased mine from yijiawang in this thread: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13506. The book was shipped from Beijing on Monday and arrived to me in West Virginia on Thursday. That 5-day shipping is pricey, but it is at-cost and extremely fast. The book arrived in the original publisher's shrinkwrap.

I received a copy of this book last week, so I'll write up a little review of sorts.

-The in-situ photographs are just phenomenal. Almost every species has an in-situ photo, and the vast majority have several. There is even an in-situ photograph of P. xfanaticum. These alone make this book worth it for me.
-Almost all species also have a landscape habitat photo. They really put the species in environmental context.
-The authors provide a pretty awesome account of the P. delenatii found growing on limestone in Yunnan. I had only heard whisperings. They include in-situ photos!

Waiting for my copy...

In the meantime:

- Many in-situ pictures, similarly to the Paphiopedilum in Vietnam book have never been taken by the authors, but by the collectors, whose are provided with a camera for that purpose. It is sometimes very unclear whether the pictures in Paphs of Vietnam as an example are really in-situ, or plants stuffed in a place and pictures taken. The photo by Averyanov of the paph vietnamense seedling in-situ as an example is bogus like hell...

- There is still no delenatii in Yunnan nowhere. The Chinese traders buy it from Nha Trang and Da Lat by masses every year, and from Nha Trang to China, none has been seen, the distance being over 1000 km. Same for hangianum if it is included in the book as a Chinese species. China claims to have those species in the wild, as they expect to be able to export sooner or later paphs with CITES, so they made such claims.

I bought some Chinese delenatii few years ago, to find out that the trader in Kunming - who is a close friend of Pr. Chen too... - was buying them from Nha Trang. The Nha Trang type of delenatii has a bit smaller leaves, a smaller flower, fragrant. He stills to date claims that those plants are Chineses, but I even know how he gets them to Kunming, so I am not fooled anymore.

I think it is still worthwhile to get Paphs in China, but the habitat data, and geographical distribution must be taken with a grain of salt. To date, I have yet to see a book properly written with the geographical distribution.

In the maybe not so breaking news, but Paphiopedilum rothschildianum grows very far from the Kinabalu Park as well, and Paphiopedilum ooii is geographically not from Malaysia, but from Indonesia - OK a couple dozen kilometers from Sabah only, but still Indo/Kalimantan, on the way to Longbawan. It is nowhere published.

I have seen too lately godefroyae being offered from Saigon, that the traders got from Thailand and claim to be local, and China gets a lot of strange stuff that is absolutely not from China too.

I even doubt that China ever got Paph. tigrinum. I discussed with the man who was the source from Baoshan, Yunnan, for 20 years. He had and still has the total monopoly on that species, and told me he was getting them from the minorities who cross weekly the border from Burma to Baoshan - a town that is quite close. Those minorities come all the time to supply wild orchids in China. He had no idea about the real origin.

On the other side, he supplied a few pictures of "tigrinum in the wild in China" on several instances, and told me very clearly that they were made by one man from the minorities, who got a camera for that. He had several pictures as well from the set supposedly taken by Philip Cribb, and had an autographed book of the first version of the Genus Paphiopedilum, as well as several photos of a dinner between his family and Philip Cribb... He said he wanted to see tigrinum in the wild and went to his place - a very large storage of jungle paphs - but he eventually did not go to the forest and asked him for the pictures. He clearly recognized pictures quoted as being from Phillip Cribb as being photos taken by his collector, and he even had more of the same clump under various angles. So at least we know the real origin of those photos...

You can get copies through EBay for $49 plus shipping. I actually bought mine Saturday and received it today (Tuesday). Pretty incredible considering it came from Beijing. Haven't had a chance to really look at it yet.

- There is still no delenatii in Yunnan nowhere. The Chinese traders buy it from Nha Trang and Da Lat by masses every year, and from Nha Trang to China, none has been seen, the distance being over 1000 km. Same for hangianum if it is included in the book as a Chinese species. China claims to have those species in the wild, as they expect to be able to export sooner or later paphs with CITES, so they made such claims.

I bought some Chinese delenatii few years ago, to find out that the trader in Kunming - who is a close friend of Pr. Chen too... - was buying them from Nha Trang. The Nha Trang type of delenatii has a bit smaller leaves, a smaller flower, fragrant. He stills to date claims that those plants are Chineses, but I even know how he gets them to Kunming, so I am not fooled anymore.

Stranger than fiction. And yes, P. hangianum is listed in that book as from China. Yunnan, if I recall correctly.

Just to clarify, P. delenatii has still only be found in southern Vietnam?

Latest posts

Back