Paph haynaldianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Paph haynaldianum has always been one of my favorites. I picked this plant up from Ray Rands in 1987. Paph haynaldianum can be a reluctant bloomer. This one is infrequent, I've had it bloom maybe 5 times in 22 years. Dividing haynaldianum down to a two growth division may prevent blooming for 3 to 5 years. If you want haynaldianum blooms every year, try to keep a clump going with at least 5 growths. A nice sturdy survivor that tolerated all the mistakes I have made over the last 22 years, but it is just a bit shy about blooming.

In comparison to the newer variety of haynaldianum that has been posted recently, note that this common variety has spots and green on the base of the dorsal, and purple stripes in the upper half of the dorsal. These are traits of the typical haynaldianum race.

haynaldianum-398-12-2009a.jpg

haynaldianum-398-12-2009b.jpg

Nice Leo. I bought a 2 growth division of this species and it certainly has been slow growing. But I haven't had too much trouble flowering it. It has flowered twice for me as soon as the growths matured. It currently has another mature growth which should hopefully flower shortly. I just need to get more new growths on this plant.

David

Sweet Leo! It's great to be able to compare "true" to "new" haynaldianums. That one wild spike you got going on there.

Leo, I h've got to admit: If this greenisch colour in your photo matches to the real colouration of your plant than it's an extraordinarily colourated one. I've never seen such intense greenish colouration before - that's lovely.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Leo-Nothing common about your haynaldianum! It is gorgeous and very gaze worthy! Thanks for sharing this beauty!

David, I think haynaldianum might be a little reluctant because I am growing under lights, and this one doesn't usually get to be in the few 'prime' high light locations, and my temps might be a little cooler than it likes for at least half the year.

Gorgeous. I do like the spotted dorsals better. Thank-you for the info

I'm growing underlights too and it has been slow for me. But I think I might have a sheath. Fingers crossed

Very nice, Leo. I've got a haynaldianum in bud right now. The sheath showed up last summer and then just sat. Now, all of a sudden, it's growing like wildfire.

haynaldianum update

The third flower opened. The stem is bent because it grew up into the fluorescent lights it was under. Still looking good even though the flowers are now over 3 weeks old.

haynaldianum-398-12-2009c.jpg

haynaldianum-398-12-2009d.jpg

What a beauty - I love those petals especially. Too bad it is so reluctant to flower.

I suspect if I had a greenhouse, or put it directly under my 1000 Watt HPS lamp, and let the plant develop to a 10 growth clump, it would be a much more frequent bloomer, but I tend to shuffle haynaldianum to the less bright recesses of the collection. The brighter locations are reserved for the rothschildianums & some of my better Phrags. So it is always a little neglected and starved for light.

Back