New Phrag. Book!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

For those not living in the Americas following might be of interest.
I inquired with Kew if and if so when the new book will be available through the Kew web site. I received this answer:

"We will have stock of this book for sale through the Kew online shop, and this should be available at the beginning of June."

All the best,

Rob

Sounds like someone is using our payments as funds to get it published to begin with:confused:

I shall wait till is is available it the UK to order.

It should be a very interesting book to read both aurthors are extremely knowledgeable, have met and spoken to both.

It's will be interesting to read what Chris has wrote as of the hybridisng point of view.

I must say this thrwad has made me laugh, when I first started out in orchids I was very a where that there was two camps so to speak, either a cribb or not.
I found this out talking to a few few botical artists whe I was doing show gardens.

I have met Philip cribb after reading a few of his books, as he was on the RHS committee, I personal must I was very intimidated to meet him. Yet I just walked up to him introduced my self and spoke to him, and asked him for his help on my dissatation. He was extremely help full and really down to earth.

Yet when I put one of my orchids in for awards he shot my plant donw and it never got an award (GRRRRRRR) Still not forgot that, but I under stood why it was shot down and never got the award. In all I have found him to be a genuine guy, but there dose sometimes seem to be air of there from RBS Kew and seem a bit removed from the normal growing people.

It was alway interesting to listen to him in judging on certain plants where it was a species or hybrids, yet in have not seen or spoken much tonhim since I left the in's of the RHS as I run in very different circles these days.

Most of you know of Chris, it was exelant time to listen to him on breeding and judging and see in all the orchids he brought to get an award. To learn of him and his staff at the EYOF in my very short time there, (he went to the same colleague as me ). I still see the EOYF AND when I can I do chat with them lwsr even more off them as I can and hoprfully one day get a job there.

So this should be a very interesting book and can't wait tonget my hands on it and read it.

FYI, my copy just arrived a few moments ago. I won't have time to look through it until later today, but some of the things that I immediately checked for....

Looks like P. manzurii is listed as a variety of schlimii in this interpretation. And P. popowii is treated as P. humboldtii.

$28 for S&H from Cali to WA! LOL! Somebody is making a pretty penny off of nothing! I refuse to buy a book that will cost me a 1/6th of the price in shipping alone. Media mail is a fraction of that cost, alas not even an option. :mad:

I cringe to think what they will charge you for international shipping :eek:

They just put up a media mail option for $5. Excellent customer service.

You're all very lucky. Kew doesn't list it yet. Being outside of the Americas I'm still not able to buy it. :sob:

I am trying to buy it but the system does not want my colombian credit card and It does not have the paypal option...

As of march 1st I stopped my subscription to OD for more or less the same reasons. For the last 4-5 years I was having all kinds of trouble paying for the subscription. So I was kind of fed up with the whole situation and quit my subscription. Before my decision I mailed them asking if there are options for using something like PayPal but they never did respond, so I quit.
A shame really. I like the magazine, and am sure to mis some good articles...

Rob

I have had the same issues with the local OS in trying to convince them Paypal is crucial in today's society. NO reason a publication the size of OD should not have Paypal. Many orchid societies/companies are really behind the times in terms of social media and online presence. It's a shame to be losing what seems like guaranteed money over something so easy to implement.

JAB

Dan
Sweet baby Buddha!?!?!?!?! Write to them and ask if their are more affordable options. They were VERY receptive to my email!

JAB

Got a copy for the NWOS library, and though I have not read it cover to cover I have spent the last few days skipping around and reading the interesting bits. Overall a very good reference on a group we have nothing at all on. I will say that if you are getting the book predominately for culture info you will be disappointed as this is certainly the weakest aspect. Feels like the culture info was added as an after thought.

Gorgeous print and color on nice thick stock. Most likely the justification for the cost, which in the end I am not sure is worth it... encourage your local orchid society to purchase it for the library!

JAB

Latest posts

Back