Epi. Green Hornet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, the colors are intense:drool:! what is its parentage?

No fragrance...and I do believe that its basically cochleata...got as a freebie tiny seedling on ebay from South Shore Orchids.

Did I read somewhere that this is actually cochleata, because both parents are cochleata synonyms?

Interesting point. Originally registered as cochleata x lancifolia. Later it was determined that the plant first named lancifolia was really just another cochleata, but it appears that the plant commonly distributed in the trade as lancifolia and used to make the hybrid is actually another species, trulla. The registration was changed to cochleata x trulla. So, Green Hornet is not just cochleata.

I avoided using a genus in that paragraph. RHS considers these Prosthechea. Some other taxonomists may prefer Anacheilium. Those living in the past might cling to Encyclia, and Epidendrum is truly old school. If you prefer Anacheilium or Epidendrum, change cochleata, lancifolia and trulla to cochleatum, lancifolium and trullum in the previous paragraph.

When I posted the photo, I tried to think of the latest taxonomy....I gave up and decided that writing "Epi" was the best bet......

Latest posts

Back